We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

building a new gaming pc

crazyampa

Likes # 0

I am a first time builder and am considering the following

Processor: AMD 10 MOBO : ASUS F2A85-V PRO Video : Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 HDD : Western digital

Am wondering if this is a good config, recomendations, and I have no idea about a case or a power supply. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You will need to post a lot more detail.

The CPU for instance. What is an AMD 10? What RAM are you getting? What power supply? What case? What size harddrive? What will be the main use of the PC be? What is your overall budget?

Mobo.

Graphics.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry ignore questions on case and PSU.

Like this post
crazyampa

Likes # 0

It is an AMD 10 trinity 5800k processor I was going to put that on a asus F2A85-V PRO motherboard. I am putting 16 gig of ram in that and adding a Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 video card and a 1.5t hard drive from western digital.

I am kinda lost on the case and power supply I need but am sure I need at least 750W power supply. Getting a fan friendly case and a power supply that will allow everything to fit into the box can be tricky I am finding out so that is the uncertainty

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The case is the easy bit. Mobo size is ATX So you have a wide choice of cases it depends on what your budget is. And if you want more fans then that is not a problem either.

You do not need 750W,600-650W is plenty and 8GB of RAM is more than enough.

Great if you could answer all questions makes helping a lot easier. So what is your overall budget? What operating system are you using and will it be 32 or 64 BIT? What make and model of RAM are you buying?

Am I right in assuming you do not have a lot of cash for this build?

Like this post
crazyampa

Likes # 0

Thanks alot for the encourgement, it is my first build and have done a bit of research. I am buying it all a bit at a time but trying to keep it under 800 or a 1000.00. alot of my price browsing has been at newegg.com. I havent really settled on RAM, but

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133MHz PC3 17000 Dual Channel 240 Pin Desktop Memory is what I was leaning towards. I understand it is good for over all use and gaming. I am running Win7 64 or 32 but run 64 currently. I have either. thanks again and I appreciate your imput and certainly any suggestions you might have.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

RAM is fine but you will only need 4GB if you install Windows 7 32BIt as it wont see the other 4GB. If you are using Newegg I presume you are in the USA. and you are talking in dollars. $800-$100 is £498-£623 which is not a great deal of cash for a gaming rig.

But I will have a look at Newegg and get some idea of prices.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have tried to put together a spec and of course it can be tweaked. Your graphics card does not seem to be for sale so I have picked an alternative.

The components are from Newegg.

MOBO.

CPU.

PSU.

RAM.

Case.

GPU.

HDD

Optical Drive.

Which comes to $845 but this is just a guide and you can off course change the case to something you prefer in fact you can change anything.

Like this post
crazyampa

Likes # 0

You are awesome .... Thanks I really appreciate the guide.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer