We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

~WRL3493.tmp -Wont go away!

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm in the throes of paging a village magazine and Word 2007 is currently compatible with 2000 (.doc)

Word seems to be generating temp files at the least provocation, and so far I have lost nothing but have this file (now greyed out) insisting it is in use etc etc.

Have been able to delete or rename other culprits when they occurred, have tried CClean to check the registry. At the moment I can ignore it, but just a mite anxious it could become serious.

Ideas please?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

It's normal for Microsoft Word to create .tmp (temporary) files whilst it's in use - have a look here for more info.

The files that start ~WRL appear to be connected to stuff you've copied to the clipboard.

When Word is shutdown correctly all those temp files should disappear. Are you saying that yours remain even after shutting down Word?

Like this post  
woodchip

Likes # 0

Tmp files are created as you use Word so that if the power goes down or you get a System Crash etc you can still open your Doc as at the time it made the last Tmp File, you can change timed Doc Backuptimes in Word Settings

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Thank you both for the reassurance it took only a good old fashioned reboot to fix this one, merely coming out of Word was not enough. I had tried that anyway.

"Stressed editor" ignored the obvious. I find Word pretty stable normally, but I was punch drunk after using Corel 12 a lot yesterday and that can be very flaky.

I was after all doing a lot of cut and paste, had noticed the ~Wxxx.tmp coming and going but this one stayed.

A friend from long ago earns her crust as computer support in industrial systems and she claimed then that a reboot every now and then was a good idea if some complex, step by step procedure was being applied

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I use Corel WordPe3rfect 8 on all my Xp computers

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

In case anyone is interested.

Less panic and more thought should have been observed. Im now convinced I confused the poor PC by too many save-as while disregarding the fact that I was dealing with a number of files mostly .doc some open some closed with different subscripts for the same documents.

(i.e. doc and docx willy nilly.) Although I can save as docx the converter works without complaint.... normally..... what I was doing was stoopid!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made