We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot update driver win XP

Hetti
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a Win XP PC and have had problems when trying to view any video in full screen ( I did post about this a while ago but was not able to get a remedy for it) I have just not been viewing any video as the PC works fine apart from that. In device manager there are three items that I cannot update the driver for I get the message "Cannot update the driver" I wondered if these are the reason Im having problems with viewing video these are the three items.

1. Ethernet controller

2. Multimedia Controller

3. Unknown Device, when I look at properties it says the drivers are not installed (code 28)

I run win XP premium, and have a Virgin media superhub to connect to internet I was going to bite the bullet and buy new PC but as this one works great apart from the above problem I hate to just give up on it.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

What is your motherboard? As It might be that you need to install chipset drivers.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Belarc Advisor gives this info (I think this is motherboard) not a techie sorry. Micro star international Co,Ltd 4D MS-7091 Bus Clock 200 Megahertz Bus Phoenix technologies LTD 6.00, PG 01/27/2005

Hope this is the correct info .....thanks

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Is your PC an Advent by any chance as this is an OEM board usually found in Advent PC's supplied by PC world which could make it tricky to find the correct drivers.

So make and model of PC please and I will see what I can find.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

The PC is a Medion desktop I purchased at ALDI about 5 years ago

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You should be able to get all your drivers from http://www.medion.com/gb/service/download/driver.php

Just find the 'MSN' number.

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You will have been supplied with a driver disk from medion and they may also be in a separate partition on your hard drive (E:(tools)in my case).

As Chronus states you need to install the chipset drivers.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks guys

I had already done that, and updates were reported to be successful but will go back and check they are all installed correctly.

Could anyone please clarify for me the three items listed in device manager are all related to motherboard correct?

Also sorry not to get back here as quickly but I have not had email notifications to say I had reply's to my post, only one for the first reply has PC Advisor changed, or do I need to do something to receive all notifications?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes all three on motherboard.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Sorry not to get back sooner, I did the driver updates from Medion and it seems fine right now thanks all who helped me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite