We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is the best way to send music

johnincrete

Likes # 0

I have 6 full CD's of original music tracks and I want to send them to a friend in Nigeria. Obviously I can copy the CDs and send them by post but the postal service in Nigeria is very unreliable I'm told. I could attach to a series of emails but it would take several. Is there a way of sending the tracks electronically & easily?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I use DropBox, have a look at this.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

I've installed Dropbox & zipped a folder containing all the music files into the dropbox folder - its nearly 500,000kb. Dropboc is uploading the file - it tells me it will take 17hours at 34.9Kb/sec. I'll leave it running and see what happens! I'm not sure that this is a practical solution.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

5000,000kb is equal to 50GB which is an awful lot of music certainly more than 6 CD's I would have thought.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

The folder of mp3 tracks is 484MB. I zipped it to get the dropbox file of 471MB - just a slight reduction but the dropbox instructions said it had to be a single zip file. There are about 100 music files. I left it running so I don't know how long it took eventually. I'll get to the rest tommorrow.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

All you needed to have done was create a folder in your DropBox and copy your tracks into it which should only have taken a few minutes you can then share that folder with anyone you want and they do not need to have DropBox installed .

After a mobo upgrade at the weekend and reinstalling Windows I also reinstalled DropBox and the 2GB contents took less than half an hour to sync so am really puzzled as to your figures.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Dropbox files have to be uploaded to be shared. Depending on your upload speed then 471Mb will take some time.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

2GB contents took less than half an hour to sync

This was to my PC so I am not sure why less than a quarter of that should take so long.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Although my download speed is 10Mb my upload speed is only 1 Mb. Therefore getting files to my pc is fairly quick, uploading to share takes much longer. We don't know what johnincrete's speeds are.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Chronos: I followed the DropBox instructions and copied the zipped file to the DropBox folder. Just as the instructions said, it automatically uploaded the contents.

Woolwell How do I measure speeds?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I know that you have already started but:

One file will be a lot for them to download as well. Would it not have made more sense to have broken it up into several sections.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...