We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Movie Maker with Windows XP computer

Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Hi,

I would like to transfer my camcorder recorder to DVD using Windows Movie Maker. I have worked out how to upload, edit and add titles to my recording but am struggling to (a) remove the original audio and replace it with music without still hearing the original audio (which is what is happening at the moment) and(b) I would like to then burn it to DVD-R but I understand I cannot do this through Windows Movie Maker itself, but am not sure which program I should use as Nero doesn't recognise the format it has saved the recording in. Any advice or guidance on this program would be much appreciated. Many thanks. Kim

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Two slightly different ways:

Open Movie Maker and Import your .wmv file and in Storyboard view click on the 'Audio' (on the row beneath the pictures on the storyboard) then rightclick and choose 'Mute' Now this will be a new project so you would have to go through all the steps to again save to pc.

Or you could open your original project and do the 'Mute' setting and then do all the steps to again save to pc as a new .wmv so you will have to alter slightly the new save name from your old one (you can't have two different files with same name)

You can't just Delete that Audio as it would need splitting from the picture part that came from your Camcorder but you can Mute it.

Then on the next row down 'Audio/Music' you can if you want add your own music (this can be deleted independently of the picture part) Just import some music to add to the project and drag it down to that row. You can delete it if you change your mind.

Like this post
Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Many thanks, will give this a try. It sounds quite a simple process so hopefully everything will be sorted out now.

I have managed to burn the few minutes of recording I've uploaded so far and that played on a DVD-RW as a test, but it was the sound part that was still bugging me.

Once again, my sincere thanks.

Like this post
Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Following your advice I have managed to remove the audio from my Windows Movie Maker files and everything was working beautifully until about 5 days ago, when Microsoft problems started to occur. It happened when I went in to "My Videoes" in "My Documents" to edit my file and found that the folders flashed up on the screen briefly and then an error message box appeared saying something about a Microsoft problem (do I want to report or not?). This has been happening every time I've tried it and is preventing me from finishing off my DVD, so is most annoying. I have sometimes said "yes" to reporting it to Microsoft and sometimes "no", but it makes no difference as the next time I try to open my folder the same thing happens.

Any advice or suggestions about this would be very much appreciated as it is rather frustrating and preventing me from completing my DVD, which I was getting on with so well.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Can you give more details of the Error Message as it could relate to Windows Explorer.exe having a problem displaying your folders.

You could run sfc /scannow to repair important Windows files Do you have your XP cd/dvd as it sometimes asks for this so it can copy xp files to replace corrupt ones.

Here is how to run sfc /scannow it is quite easy you only have to go to Start | run | and type: sfc /scannow in the box and click on ok, then put xp cd in if it asks for it. note there is a space between sfc and /scannow

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Also are you able to open Windows Movie Maker (Start | All Programs | Windows Movie Maker) and then open your project to work on

One thing to note about projects, do not move to a different location the 'bits' in the project list (which is just an index of files you want to include) or Movie Maker won't find them.

Like this post
Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Hi,

Yes I can open Windows Movie Maker programme without any problem at all, so can edit through that, but I cannot proceed further as when I open DVDflick/flickDVD it flashes on the screen and then the same error message/report appears as when I try to open the "my videoes" folder, which contains all the WMM and DVDflick files (I mean that I haven't moved them anywhere else).

I hope this makes sense as I'm not in front of my computer whilst writing this, but it is something I'm trying to open daily and getting no further with.

Like this post
Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Hi,

Yes I can open Windows Movie Maker programme without any problem at all, so can edit through that, but I cannot proceed further as when I open DVDflick/flickDVD it flashes on the screen and then the same error message/report appears as when I try to open the "my videoes" folder, which contains all the WMM and DVDflick files (I mean that I haven't moved them anywhere else).

I hope this makes sense as I'm not in front of my computer whilst writing this, but it is something I'm trying to open daily and getting no further with.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not come across this problem before, can you say what the error message and details are that come up?

Have you run sfc /scannow?

Like this post
Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Hi,

I'm in front of my computer now so can answer your questions. The initial grey box message is that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and the usual send error report / don't send... we have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Windows Explorer. It then flashes to a similar style message saying Dr Watson Debugger has encountered a problem.... we have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Dr Watson Debugger.

Last night my nephew managed to copy all of the files in "my videoes" to another folder he created called "my videoes1" but it took 2 attempts before it was successful. He was somewhat baffled by these messages too and couldn't understand the reason for them, and he is much more computer literate than me. I'm hoping I will be able to work from the new folder but haven't had chance to try yet, so over the weekend I plan to try this.

Do you have any suggestions what might be causing these error problems? My nephew thought it might be worth going back to a previous restore point as possibly one of the updates might be causing a crash/clash somewhere. Do you think it would be worth trying this?

I cannot find where it tells me which version of Windows I have, so I'm unable to advise you on that. I can tell you it is XP if that helps.

Once again, many thanks for your help and advice.

Kim.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes it's worth going back to a restore point if you feel it might be one of the updates causing a problem. A restore point does not touch your personal files that you have created.

You haven't mentioned sfc /scannow have you run it yet?

Yes it seems Windows Explorer is creating the problem, I have had that a couple of times in the past (nothing to do with Movie Maker) and sfc /scannow seemed to fix it, as I said you might need the XP cd.

xp version: Rightclick on My Computer and choose Properties, it should tell you what version and SP you have.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more