We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Movie Maker with Windows XP computer

Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Hi,

I would like to transfer my camcorder recorder to DVD using Windows Movie Maker. I have worked out how to upload, edit and add titles to my recording but am struggling to (a) remove the original audio and replace it with music without still hearing the original audio (which is what is happening at the moment) and(b) I would like to then burn it to DVD-R but I understand I cannot do this through Windows Movie Maker itself, but am not sure which program I should use as Nero doesn't recognise the format it has saved the recording in. Any advice or guidance on this program would be much appreciated. Many thanks. Kim

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Use free DVD Flick with free Imgburn to burn (don't forget to download the DVDFlick pdf guide).

And here's a guide with screenshots how to burn MovieMaker videos with it.

Like this post
Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Many thanks, most helpful, will see how I get on.

Like this post
Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Unfortunately I've tried to download the DVD Flick and for some reason it will not install on my pc and appears only to have messed up my Google Chrome internet page/toolbar. Is there another programme I could try or do you have any other suggestions, ie: could another programme be preventing it from downloading or something.

Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it hasn't downloaded how can it have messed up anything?

Please explain exactly what has happened.

If you have downloaded and then installed DVDFlick and Imgburn, as part of the install you have to be on the alert for UNticking any additional toolbars. Imgburn (if I remember correctly) will also install Ask Toolbar unless you UNtick the box.

Most Free programs offer some other toolbar or software during the install, it's not just these two. (Nero Free also wants to install Ask toolbar for example)

Like this post
Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to me.

Firstly I only tried to install DVDFlick, not the Imgburn as I wasn't sure where to find that download, so perhaps that is why it didn't work properly(?).

After it downloaded the DVDFlick, I pressed "run" on the icon and it came up with the options to untick. I did "untick" the boxes for tool bar etc as I was happy with using the Google Chrome, yet it still altered the internet home page. After I pressed "continue" (which I think was the word that appear at the bottom of the page), that page disappeared and nothing else happened. I checked in the list of programs on the computer and DVDFlick did not appear, hence it did not appear to have installed it.

I'm sorry if I am not being clear but I am rather confused by this and thought using Windows Movie Maker would be much easier than it obviously is.

Once again, your help and advice is appreciated and I hope this makes a little more sense now.

Many thanks, Kim

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ok, First off, do NOT click 'run' when you download, Click on 'Save' and save it to your 'Downloads' folder. You can then browse to 'Downloads' folder and click on dvdFlick to open it and start the install. (you could go to Start | Run | and browse to it if you want)

Here is an install Guide, Imgburn comes with it. And here is another good guide ClickHere to burn a movie

If you want you can use Nero to do the actual burning. DVDFlick converts and prepares your movie ready to burn to DVD. May I suggest you practise with a short 5 minute movie before you do a longer one.

"If you use Imgburn as your favorite burning application you will want to tick "Create ISO image" and DVD Flick will create an ISO for easy burning with Imgburn. If this box is left unticked, DVD Flick will produce a VIDEO_TS folder which can be burned using Imgburn via build mode or Nero or your favorite burning application.If you want DVD Flick to automatically open Imgburn when the encoding is finished tick the "burn project to disc" box. If you prefer to burn manually leave this option unticked"

Like this post
Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Hi,

Many thanks for the step-by-step guide. I'm pleased to say I've managed to install the dvdFlick programme successfully at last, but I have another query now (sorry!). I have already started editing my camcorder recording through Windows Movie Maker and the file is an MSWMM format. I attempted to add title and when I went to where I'd saved it that format was not recognised and I could only add the un-edited individual wmv files. Having added them I presumed I would be able to edit through the dvdFlick, but I cannot work out how to do it. I cannot playback either, so it is a bit annoying as I cannot convert to a DVD without editing and playing back first.

I'm sorry to bother you with this again and perhaps I'm being totally thick but I tried several times last night and again this morning and I just can't get any further at this point.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Kim

PS. I have read through the instructions/guide and cannot see how to edit my recording from there either, so I must be missing something.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No bother, will help if I can. For Windows Movie Maker 2.1 (XP version that can't burn to DVD - even though it looks like it should do, it can't)

MSWMM format is the project file (all the planning and alterations you want to put in the finished file). You have to 'Save to my computer' the project to produce a new single .wmv file that has all your edits in it.

Open your project .MSWMM in Windows Movie Maker | click on 'Save to my computer' and then in next window enter a filename and on drop down 'Other settings' choice choose 'High quality video (PAL)' to produce your finished single .wmv file.

You can save as .avi (choose DV-AVI) if you wanted a lower quality quick movie.

You now have a .wmv that you can watch on your pc to make sure it plays ok before you use dvdFlick to convert to TS_Video for burning to DVD

Like this post
Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your help with this. I have done as you said and saved to computer so that I can watch it back before converting to DVD via DVDFlick. It all looks more promising now thanks to your step-by-step guidance. There is one problem I'm still having though and that is getting rid of the sound on my recording. I've set my camcorder volume to 0 but when it records to the PC the recording is still there. I'm guessing I should have pressed something along the way to prevent that, are you able to advise me on this too please?

Once again, many thanks for your patience with all my questions and queries. Hopefully I will get there in the end!

Kim.

Like this post
Pinklady1967

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your help with this. I have done as you said and saved to computer so that I can watch it back before converting to DVD via DVDFlick. It all looks more promising now thanks to your step-by-step guidance. There is one problem I'm still having though and that is getting rid of the sound on my recording. I've set my camcorder volume to 0 but when it records to the PC the recording is still there. I'm guessing I should have pressed something along the way to prevent that, are you able to advise me on this too please?

Once again, many thanks for your patience with all my questions and queries. Hopefully I will get there in the end!

Kim.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...