We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fitting New Hard Drive ??

hubdean

Likes # 0

Hi My hard drive has gone wrong so im getting a new one. my computer is a Compaq home vista. Hard drive is WESTERN DIGITAL Internal 3.5 160gb im hopeing to get a WESTERN DIGITAL Internal 3.5" SATA Hard Drive - 2TB is this ok and when i install it should it just come on and my install disk take over. Thanks

Like this post
Wes.Clox

Likes # 0

Should be fine but if your disk is just a restore disk it will not work.

Like this post
hubdean

Likes # 0

hi thanks my disk is a complete windows restoration disk http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181010005497?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 please see thanks

Like this post
hubdean

Likes # 0

i have two of the disks one foe xp one for vista

Like this post
Wes.Clox

Likes # 0

Then that should be fine.

Just set the bios to boot from cdrom as first selection and follow prompts.

This is the 6th attempt to post, site even went down

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Wait a minute: Did you see this?

"Important Notice

This is a repair disk and has know way anything to do with microsoft,the disk will re-install or repair your system from hidden partitions on your hard drive using my own sofware with my 18 years experience in computing"

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Make sure your Mobo supports SATA before ordering your new drive

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

That disc will not work for the reasons lotvic has outlined. You will need to buy a disc for the full operating system and, if you want to use your existing COA code, it will have to be exactly the same version of Windows that was originally installed. If not, you won't be able to activate.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If Digital River haven't taken Vista off yet, you can download and burn your own Vista DVD (Digital River are Microsoft's official download site) The links and instructions are on: Heidoc webpage for Vista Download Links

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...