We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Adjust Contrast Of Scanned Image

dogbreath1

Likes # 0

I've been doing some local history research which has involved printing out various newspaper articles held on library film. Some of these images are quite dark and scanning the prints prior to OCR'ing them has resulted in black 'text' on a relatively dark grey background. The resultant OCR'd text files are at best full of errors. I'm looking for a way of enhancing the contrast of the scanned images to improve the accuracy of the OCR process. Any ideas??

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

What image program are you using?

If you are just using a scanner, then download Irfanview and use that to enhance the image. You may also have trouble with your OCR program not recognising some old typefaces but there's not a lot you can do about that.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You should be able to scan in black and white only or other settings that may well reduce the problems of black on grey.

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

I have IrfanView, but I cannot work our how to enhance contrast. In an ideal world I would be able to convert the mottled grey background to white!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Open your image, go to top toolbar >image > color corection and use the contrast and brighness controls > save as same name-1

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Thanks. That looks promising. I'll give it a try.

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

The IrfanView contrast tweak makes the scanned text look and read much better but actually worsens the OCR results!

Any more ideas, please?

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

When scanning newspaper text the reverse side of the page often can show through... to avoid this what I always do is have a piece of black card on top of the page that I'm scanning...

This does tend to make the "white" on the page you are scanning darker, but increasing the brightness and contrast of the subsequent image usually produces a good result.

Also, I would scan in "Greyscale" rather than "Black and White", (which can produce a very "blocky" result).

In Irfanview the brightness/contrast adjustments are via the Menu bar under Image>Color Corrections.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply. The newspapers I'm copying are stored on film, so I cannot physically adjust the image result by inserting dark card. I can obtain a print out of these film images but to lighten the background often adversely affects the boldness and readability of the text. Experience to date confirms that greyscale scans of the printouts are superior to black/white, but that colour scans are even better.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Unfortunately most OCR programs on recognise modern fonts. I have often had this problem, I have a copy of ABBYY finereader 7 that does a fair job of it but it still has its moments.

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Simsy makes a good point about avoiding scanning in black and white but, as daft as it may sound, I find colour scans of monochrome text images work better than greyscale for the purposes of OCR'ing.

Thank you all for your responses, but it seems there isn't a magic bullet for this problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...