We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Follow. An unknown shortcut on desktop Win7

pgladston

Likes # 0

When I switch on my PC today 25/11/12 a unknown short cut was on my desktop named "Follow" and an icon of a globe. On going in to properties it was created, Modified and accessed 24/11/12, under wed doc' it's a URL javascript:void(0). As it's javascript I clicked on it, it took me to photos I downloaded from VirginMobile some 6 weeks ago, with which I had problems downloading. Yesterday I was using the BBC Iplayer at this time to watch the motor racing, but do not remeber clicking for this to download or install. I looked to uninstall it with revo uninstaller but it's not there, nor is it visable in Program Files. All I can find on the internet is it's an error masage in HTML programing. So what is it where did it come from and will deleteing the short cut get rid of it or how do I get rid of it or should I just leave it? My PC is running Win7 Pro(32) and I use FireFox.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Found this but not sure if it applies to you or not.

Follow

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The globe is just the favicon of either the website or internet explorer program (or any programs icon that is used to open a shortcut - like the W for word documents indicating it will open in Word program). Are you sure you didn't have a url shortcut to your photos with a different icon previously? it may have been created without you noticing 6 weeks ago and IE has updated/changed it's favicon. Like Google did with its blue and white g.

If you don't want the shortcut just delete it. If it comes back then you will know that whatever/however you downloaded your photos has an inbuilt option to create a desktop shortcut so more details on how you did that download would be needed.

Jock1e's link about the Follow (Twitter) makes sense, could be a combination of both.

Like this post
pgladston

Likes # 0

Thanks but not what I was hoping for, also I have never had a twitter account so is probably nothing to do with twitter. Peter

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'