We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba Laptop Screen Problem

Chris Webster

Likes # 0

Hi all,

A friend has asked me to take a look at his mums laptop as the screen keeps going 'funny'.

The laptop works fine for a few minutes then the screen starts getting lines and blocks all over it.

The only thing I can liken it to is in the Matrix film when all the data starts streaming down the screen.

Also the laptop decides to restart itself every now and again too.

I managed to do a virus and malware scan and both came up clean

I've taken 2 photos of the screen and put them on my Flickr account to show how the screen looks, link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76369868@N02/sets/72157632092798006/

Any ideas gratefully received,

Regards,

Chris.

Like this post
Chris Webster

Likes # 0

Sorry, forgot to put laptop details,

Toshiba Satellite L500-1DT

W7 Home Premium.

Regards,

Chris.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

As the laptop is also restarting it may be a hardware problem with the graphics card/chip.

But just to check first for driver problems try starting the laptop in safe mode which just loads basic drivers to see if it's still happening.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Have you a normal PC monitor you can plug it into? That would help determine if the problem is with the chip or with the video cable, connection or screen.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

At worst a new screen fitted is about £100

Like this post
Chris Webster

Likes # 0

Marg7,

I started in safe mode and left it running for quite a while, the laptop never restarted itself and the screen was fine.

Regards,

Chris.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmmm - if the screen stayed stable in safe mode, that would appear to suggest the fault is with the graphics chip.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Safe mode loads basic video drivers at a lower resolution. It's possible it's a driver problem and the drivers need uninstalling and reinstalling. It's certainly worth a shot doing that next.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

In case you need it here's a link with info on installing video drivers in safe mode http://www.ehow.com/how5841450install-video-drivers-safe-mode.html

You usually need to remove any software for the video driver before reinstalling. check the manufacturer's site for instructions on removal.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

sorry something happened to my link so posting again click here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Agree if its stable in safe mode then its a driver problem - reinstall or update the graphics driver.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer