We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using the Sony WinXP System Recovery Discs

mickieswall

Likes # 0

I want to restore the system to its original factory settings using the discs that came with it - there are 3 - and I know that I should back up the files and Pictures that I want to save.

The last time we reformatted the WinXPpro version was installed, and now I want to go back to the original XP Home version.

Last time, we moved the files we wanted to save over to drive D and then moved them back to C after the re-do.

My question is: If I use the recovery discs (never used them before) will it automatically format both drives C & D or just drive C? Do I get an option while the discs are running the recovery?

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I reckon if you go back to Factory settings your hard drive will over write the C drive completely.

You will need an external drive to do any back up.

Have a look in programs under the computers name mine been a Samsung has its own tools. Basic Restore, or compete Restore, and Data restore.

Before loading any programs reload the drivers that should be on one of the disks.

The XP disk should do it all for you though including drivers.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Forgot to say D is part of C drive so this will be over written also going back to factory settings.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

google for VGNT300series_Recoveryguide.pdf and This sony .pdf has a section: Drive C Partition Recovery, Restore only Drive C to the original. Be aware the link is to directly download the pdf. If you want a peek preview of it then click on 'Quick View'

or you can go to:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DOCS select your pc (desktop or laptop) or enter your model number, then go to manuals and click on Recovery Options Guide .pdf

I would think that the Recovery Options are same for every model with XP

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Though D is a Part of the same drive it will not overwrite it as it is a different partition on the drive. Only the C drive will be restored. So if you have Backed up your file just restore from the Disc, you may only need to boot with the CD in the drive if CMOS settings have not been changed since you got the PC or you you may need to start with CD in drive and keep taping F8 as it boots to fetch up the Safe Mode and Recovery options screen

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Woodchip thanks for correcting me.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Ex plorer

No Problem, we all have to start somewhere. Even I get it wrong sometimes

Like this post
mickieswall

Likes # 0

Thanks everybody for your input. I was hoping that I could just move my files over to D and then move them back after the recovery. Just in case, I will move all the good stuff to CDs or flash drives. :)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You can do that with your own stuff but not move prtograms

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Sorry too big a fingers, should be Programs

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...