We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fire wire or an usb connection

Daiol
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi.Hoping that santa will bring me a new external HDD for backup purposes.I'm using windows 7 home premium. Just thinking of my best option to get,Would it be the 1st option for a firewire or a 2nd option an USB connection for this new HDD. Is it possible,I have a firewire connection socket on the rear of my desktop. Any thoughts on that please. Many Thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This may help enter link description here (referring to USB 2.0 of course)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

I believe Firewire was developed by Apple and used primarily for video. It was adopted by Microsoft as the easiest way of getting video from a camcorder into Windows as the earlier camcorders only had a firewire interface probably as, at the time, USB 1 was the only USB standard that was available and it was too slow for streaming video.

With the advent of USB2 and USB3 camcorders became increasingly fitted with a USB interface and firewire is gradually being phased out. I think you will struggle to find an external HDD with a firewire interface and would advise USB anyway in view of the fact that its becoming a universal standard at the expense of firewire.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

How about fitting something like this to the front of your PC then getting something like this. All the bearded chap will then have to bring is a 2.5" Sata drive?

Ho...Ho..Ho...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Forget firewire you won't see a drive with that sort of connection.

USB3 is fastest esata or USB2 common

for ease of use on an older PC USB2 is probably what you'll end up with, fast enough for back ups.

I leave my machine backing up and image overnight 200G tends to be a little slow over USB2 :0)

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

Many thanks all,Sorry for delay in replying.had my granddaughter for a sleepover. The info provided looks as it will have to be an USB connection. Have to find an ideal external HDD next. Most grateful for all the help from this forum. david.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer