We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

McAfee Firewall Keeps Switching Off

morters
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have Windows 7 with pre-installed McAfee anti-virus. A few days ago it started warning that my computer was at risk and that I needed to switch on the firewall; I haven’t timed it very accurately, but it seems switches to off again in anything between 30 minutes and 1 3/4 hours.

Have tried to find solution on internet but generally couldn’t understand the suggestions as they were too technical for me. I have, however, performed a full scan with McAfee, Malwarebytes and Eset. What little that was found and removed has not sorted it. I also failed to find Windows Firewall.

This is obviously of concern. Can anyone suggest a solution, please?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

To be honest, I really don't know if I have/had a subscription; as far as I can see, McAfee updates. Apologies for my ignorance and apparent (maybe real!!) stupidity.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Sorrry, didn't notice that we had gone into page 2 and your link to Dell - now trying to work out what they mean.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

McAfee tells me I have the latest updates available, it scans, etc etc. If I am/was not protected, I assume I'd get warning notices. I can't remember subscribing for beyond the 30-day trial but I assume I must have done - perhaps there was a special offer on that made me think McAfee was the best to go with rather than check out the rest (I did have some urgent work on when PC purchased back in March). Does that make sense?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sorry I am puzzled but you should have had an email acknowledging a subscription. I haven't used Mcafee for a long time so cannot help where to look.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Apologies for my hopeless memory!!! This is from an email dated 6/3/2012:

Dear McAfee SecurityCenter Subscriber,

Thank you for registering your McAfee SecurityCenter subscription. You are now entitled to updates and upgrades for your McAfee products.

McAfee SecurityCenter - 15-month subscription

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm now at a loss. McAfee should be providing all of your security including firewall.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Well they are - it's just that the firewall switches off after a while!

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Woolwell, thanks for all your help so far. I'm afraid I'm absolutely knackered, at end of my tether and must retire for tonight. My apologies. If you have any other thoughts I'd be eternally grateful tomorrow. By the way, if I installed ZoneAlarm and there was a conflict, would it be serious in the short term? Would it be immediately obvious there was a conflict?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I would not install ZoneAlarm. I beginning to wonder if you are getting false alarms.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...