We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

McAfee Firewall Keeps Switching Off

morters
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have Windows 7 with pre-installed McAfee anti-virus. A few days ago it started warning that my computer was at risk and that I needed to switch on the firewall; I haven’t timed it very accurately, but it seems switches to off again in anything between 30 minutes and 1 3/4 hours.

Have tried to find solution on internet but generally couldn’t understand the suggestions as they were too technical for me. I have, however, performed a full scan with McAfee, Malwarebytes and Eset. What little that was found and removed has not sorted it. I also failed to find Windows Firewall.

This is obviously of concern. Can anyone suggest a solution, please?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do you have a record of the number that you called and have you compared it to their customer service number 0800 028 7581. From their website it seems that for technical support there isn't a published telephone number but you have to submit a form.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

This is very strange. Have done full McAfee scan with no results. Also, I had forgot that "McAfee" changed my McAfee password when they supposedly cleaned my computer. I got an email stating that it had been sucessfully changed; also went to McAfee website and, using new password, was able to log into my account. Am currently running ESET scan and am going to email McAfee to see if they have record of 'cleaning' my computer (I think it was sub-contracted).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Hopefully it was McAfee after all.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

If you are still out there, Woolwell, I have at last managed to work out what has happened (McAfee have confirmed by email that they did not do this work for me) and who I contacted to sort out my firewall switching off – it was tech24x7:

http://www.tec24x7.com/techformcafee.html#mcafee

On the plus side, my firewall works fine now. Also, my hunch is that tech24x7 is kosher, though I wonder about the legality of their display/presentation (passing off??) which prominently displays the McAfee logo etc. If you read the small print at the bottom it is clear they are not McAfee; however, at first sight, (especially for anyone in something of a panic) it is easy to confuse the site for an official McAfee site.

On the minus side, I feel a bloody idiot for not checking better, am £75 lighter, and will need to change passwords, etc. A lesson to be learned. Still, once again my thanks for your help and hope this fills you in on what happened.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully all sorted now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...