We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

McAfee Firewall Keeps Switching Off

morters
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have Windows 7 with pre-installed McAfee anti-virus. A few days ago it started warning that my computer was at risk and that I needed to switch on the firewall; I haven’t timed it very accurately, but it seems switches to off again in anything between 30 minutes and 1 3/4 hours.

Have tried to find solution on internet but generally couldn’t understand the suggestions as they were too technical for me. I have, however, performed a full scan with McAfee, Malwarebytes and Eset. What little that was found and removed has not sorted it. I also failed to find Windows Firewall.

This is obviously of concern. Can anyone suggest a solution, please?

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Apologies for long delay - various vital domestic chores to do for she who must be obeyed, already in deepest, darkest doo-doo for forgetting to record The Killing last night.

Anyway, not much to add except that had I not been so tired last night I would have explained that my idea was to install ZoneAlarm after McAfee advised that its firewall was switched off (and leave it switched off), but I expect you would have suggested that if you thought it would work. Similarly, I'm assuming that if there were another free firewall that would not conflict, you would have suggested it.

Are you serious when you suggest I might be getting false alarms?

Suspect I know the answers to my queries already, but am persisting before trying McAfee helpline, which I fear and loathe. As I suggested in my original post, Googling this problem shows it's not unheard of in one form or another. One person with the problem was told by McAfee to download a 'bug hunter', after which he completely lost internet access.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It does seem that this problem can be caused by a virus but you have run various checks. I would not install another firewall whilst McAfee's is still on your system.

I think that you are going to have to contact McAfee support.

If you had less subscription to run then I would suggest uninstalling McAfee (using their removal tool) and install a different program.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thanks, Woolwell, I too am less than enchanted by McAfee. I may even go back to Avast! which I was using before I bought this PC in March.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thank you, Woolwell. As I was off to Spain for a week on day after my last post decided to contact McAfee help line and get it sorted out before I went away.

They told me I had been hacked and suggested that for £25 (I think) they would clear it for me. They also suggested that 'as the hacker knew his way round my computer he would probably visit again', and that to cover against this, for £75.80 they would clear the computer and clear it again for up to a year for any revisits. I went for the latter. All sorted now but a bit peeved at charge. Will not be renewing with McAfee!

Thanks again for all your help and apologies for unavoidable delay replying.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I hope it was Mcafee that charged you as this sounds very much like the people purporting to be Microsoft scam. I think that you need to ask "how was it possible for my system to be hacked if McAfee was working properly?".

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Now you're scaring me, Woolwell! Never heard of the Microsoft scam. McAfee (or whoever it was) ran my computer as administrators. The whole process took about an hour an a half. I watched much of their work and saw how they deleted various items - can't remember any specific details. They uninstalled Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware.

I have to say they sounded entirely plausible and I can't help wonder if they had been scamming that a) they wouldn't have offered the cheap one-off £25 solution and b) they would have charged more than £75.80 (and what an odd sum to charge if it were made up - perhaps that's just their sophistication!). Will check my online bank accounts right now!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Microsoft phone scam.

I don't understand why they would take of malwarebytes or superantispyware. I cannot understand why McAfee charged. Are you absolutely sure that it was Mcafee?

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Woolwell, sorry for delay. I was sure as I could be that it was McAfee - I got the number from their website. Have just been back onto McAfee and the woman I spoke to said they don't charge for this sort of work and suggested I run a full scan after I told her what happened. I don't know if she fully understood (or I did!) due to her ehavy Indian accent (the reason I didn't immediately contact McAfee). Am now in total paranoia.

If I've been scammed for £75, that's a big pain. What worries me much more is that someone has had access to my computer for 12/2 hours!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You need to urgently carry out the actions suggested in my link.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Assume you mean Microsoft phone scam link. Have contacted bank and they have frozen online account + they say nothing has been taken out in time since this happened. Running full scan now.

Incidently, have had "Microsoft" phone up quite a few times offering to sort out my computer. Have never given them anything apart from some colourful language. As I say, I got McAfee number from what I thought was their website.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...