We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

McAfee Firewall Keeps Switching Off

morters
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have Windows 7 with pre-installed McAfee anti-virus. A few days ago it started warning that my computer was at risk and that I needed to switch on the firewall; I haven’t timed it very accurately, but it seems switches to off again in anything between 30 minutes and 1 3/4 hours.

Have tried to find solution on internet but generally couldn’t understand the suggestions as they were too technical for me. I have, however, performed a full scan with McAfee, Malwarebytes and Eset. What little that was found and removed has not sorted it. I also failed to find Windows Firewall.

This is obviously of concern. Can anyone suggest a solution, please?

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

A supplementary question: as a temporary fix, would it make sense to install free ZoneAlarm firewall or will this cause conflicts?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Did you do an eset online scan or do you have it installed? If instaled then you should uninstall it as it may well be causing conflicts.

W7 Firewall is quite good on its own. ZoneAlarm would probably conflict.

Has McAfee been updated/activated? Has it run out of its time period? Pre-installations are often for a brief period only.

Windows Firewall - Control Panel - System and Security - Windows Firewall should be on the next window.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thanks, Woolwell, had virtually given up on anyone replying. Will try your comments and come back.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Pretty certain McAfee has been updated and has not run out of time.

I looked for Windows firewall via different method; found it as per your suggestions: get a message saying: 'Update your firewall settings: Windows Firewall is not using the recommended settings to protect your computer.' When I click the buttpn marked 'Use recommended settings', I get error message: 'Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x80070424.

In uninstall, I have ESET Online Scanner v3. Not sure how that fits in with what you say.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

McAfee if it is the full internet suite should have disabled Windows Firewall and this may be why you are getting the error message. I get a Windows Security prompt if my anti-virus hasn't updated recently and I suggest that you double check that McAfee is updated.

Eset Online Scanner is ok.

Personally I don't like McAfee and of late it hasn't been getting good reviews.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Have checked updates and McAfee says it's the latest. Not sure how to tell if it's full internet suite or is this obvious from first sentence?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If it was preinstalled then it was probably the full suite. Dell computer and if so did you subscribe to McAfee?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Could be a Toshiba instead of Dell - same question applies.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Yes, it's a Dell. Did not subscribe to McAfee as it was pre-installed.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Although pre-installed I think that you need a subscription or activate it otherwise it will not update. Have you done either?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Why BlackBerry isn't dead: Firm keeps Mercedes F1 team driving with enterprise package

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...