We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Missing setup from this registry string HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersio

rizlo29

Likes # 0

Apparently, I can use a folder called 1386 to mend my XP....but going through this tutorial below....i don't have the last Key? ...............

"Step 1. If the folder does not exist then you can make one: You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called i386 (I386) This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most of you that is going to be C:\ so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:\I386

Step 2. NOTE: Carrying out this operation may entail altering the registry, so you should "Back it up" first. From the Start Menu select "Run..." type "regedit" (without the " " quotes)

Now you will need to tell your computer you now have the files on your PC. We do this is the registry by navigating to:

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Setup

You will now see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called: "SourcePath"

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it's asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:\

Simply double click the SourcePath setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try "sfc /scannow" again!

A more comprehensive and detailed explanation can be found here: http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html"

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Why have you created another Post? -very confusing. Anybody seeing this here for the first time will be asking what the query is. As it is I contributed to your original so I know what you are on about. I think you should have added this to your original post.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. do you have an i386 folder on your machine? it will either be c:\i386 or c:\windows\i386

2. you can reinstall windows from the i386 folder (if you can run .exe files)

Start -run - type c:\i386\winnt32.exe /unattend

or c:\windows\i386\winnt32.exe /unattend

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Add links to my original thread then as things develop in time from general to more specific problems as trial and error kicks in, I'd add links to the original thread, but I don't know how to.

PS long Dead threads are not seen by potential users here with solutions to my problem. I mean It's almost a week since I first posted my problem...yet I've got nowhere.

This is the first place google sends as looking for pc advice as the name obviously suits the google spider. If I can't regularly update in new threads for it confusing folks...do I create a new user name here or go to another forum?

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

TY fruitbat....yeas I have the folder.

I will try again tomorrow.....TY for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK