We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Water damaged Acer laptop pop.

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just a quickie.Son in law got offered a Acer laptop that had water damage.

All I know is that is it only uses half the screen.Whether it is just a small picture in the middle bottom half or top half I don't know

Would that just be the display needing reset or something to forget.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ and Woolwell.

I always have something left over if I take something apart then install them again.So it should not matter if it is going to end up in the scrap bin anyway.

I will remember to remove those things first.

Thanks for the information.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Probably far too late now, but bear in mind miniature gadgets like a laptop may take a very long tome to dry out even if the thing is dismantled and assuming the battery was removed very quickly.

I left a Panasonic cordless phone outside over a wet night. Blew it clear of visible water and left it open in a warm place all day. It worked fine for a couple of hours and then gradually lost the display.

I still use this phone occasionally but the display remains blank. I really would treat the laptop as still wet and keep the battery away from it for several more hours in say your airing cupboard.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

If you can get it for a tenner worth playing around with I would have thought.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

bumpkin

I was thinking the same thing myself.

Diemmess

To late they have already tried it.So any damage and it will probably be permanent.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok managed to get a look at it last night and only the top 3rd of the screen works properly.The rest of the screen is sort of multi coloured lines.

Mouse pointer still works but just on the top part.

Most likely cause anyone.And would it be worth fixing.Acer 5000 is the only ID I have got up till now.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

80 Gb hard drive, Max 2Gb memory.XP.Probably not worth fixing unless it is a cheap part.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sounds like scrap. Even the hard drive is small by today's standards. Might be worthwhile salvaging the harddrive and putting in a caddy to use as an external drive. Wonder if it was cleaned of data?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Would it work if I managed to plug it into another monitor or TV or would it just look the same.

A restore to factory setting would make sure if I could get it running.

Noticed that there was a PC Card slot on it with nothing in it.So not sure what that is supposed to do.Not sure if that is for connecting to wireless or not.

Anyhow if I cannot connect it using another monitor it will be getting scrapped.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you connect to aa TV / monitor and it works then you know its a screen problem if it still the same then its the graphics chip and you may as well scrap it unless you can find a cheap motherboard replacement on e-bay.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Ok will give it a try when I can.

Thanks for the information.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more