We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Water damaged Acer laptop pop.

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just a quickie.Son in law got offered a Acer laptop that had water damage.

All I know is that is it only uses half the screen.Whether it is just a small picture in the middle bottom half or top half I don't know

Would that just be the display needing reset or something to forget.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok it works with monitor.But nothing will open on the monitor just the laptop.

Anyway I can close the laptop screen so that I can use the Monitor only.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

From this Click here

• Display toggle: Switches display output between the display screen, external monitor (if connected) and both.

• Screen blank: Turns the display screen backlight off to save power. Press any key to return.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Display toggle = Fn + F5

Screen blank = Fn + F6

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Lazarus The 2nd

Thanks for that but it still will not let me open anything on the external Monitor.If I click on say my computer using the external monitor it still opens on the laptop which I cannot see properly.

Using a USB mouse would I also have to use a USB keyboard.is that what I am doing wrong.

If I go into safe mode I can use the external monitor and connect to any program,It just will not do it in normal. mode.I think it is a VGA connection to the Monitor/Tv.

It still does not work with the screen blacked out.I was hoping to do a back to factory setting but I would not be able to see what is on the screen as only the top 3" is clear.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Lazarus The 2nd

Thanks for your help.I managed to get round that problem by switching the display driver off.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If I go into safe mode I can use the external monitor and connect to any program,It just will not do it in normal.

If both external and laptop screen OK .n save mode then its a driver problem

In safe mode try uninstalling graphics driver - reboot and let windows reinstall it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

On the top half of laptop Screen, right click it then choose Properties/Settings/Advanced You need to get the Adapter showing and change screen it is using

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry Fruit Bat /\0/\ I never explained it very well.

The bottom 2/3rds of the screen is still unusable.

I meant to say it worked on the external monitor not the laptop.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS you could Disconnect the screen and it would then force it to use the monitor, as a desktop

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

woodchip

Disabling the display driver has done the same thing.Nothing on the laptop screen anymore.

I will try your other remedy if it comes back on at any time.Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more