We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Water damaged Acer laptop pop.

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just a quickie.Son in law got offered a Acer laptop that had water damage.

All I know is that is it only uses half the screen.Whether it is just a small picture in the middle bottom half or top half I don't know

Would that just be the display needing reset or something to forget.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Forget - where else did the water damage?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The house that it was in.

It still starts but just fills half of the screen.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry that was a bit quick it was general house damage due to flooding or burst pipe.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

It still starts but just fills half of the screen.

Perhaps when the water level drops you will get a full screen!

Sorry Jock1e Just my little joke. Perhaps it hasn't fully dried out yet and may return to normal working when it does.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

No it has been drying out for about a month now so I would imagine all the water has gone or it would not start at all.

The screen is intact with no cracks so has to be something inside.

Would a damaged graphics card if it has one cause that sort of problem.

I have never been inside a laptop before so was thinking along the lines of getting it see if I could fix it,If not just strip it to see how easy or hard it is.

Probably get it for £10-£20.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok I will see what happens no doubt if I get it I will be back.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

IMO it's with zero. Another thing to consider is if as a result of the house damage and there was an insurance claim that wrote the laptop off then technically the laptop could belong to the insurance company.

There are many things that could have been damaged internally.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I was thinking about that as well but was thinking more of spare parts if I cannot get it to work.

It cost me £45 recently for a new hard drive for My Grandaughters acer laptop.So even if it is no good some parts may come in handy.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The hard drive could be fine and seeing as you get a small screen with data it is probably ok.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Hard drive memory and DVD drive are probably all that's worth salvaging.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings