We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Memory sticks Do they wear?

gel
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have used memory sticks for a long time, but recently I am having issues with one of them It is probably quite ancient Could it be wearing?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 1

I don't think they wear out as such, although there may be a limit to how many read/writes they can perform before they start to get untrustworthy. Whatever: make sure you back up any important files on them?

Like this post  
gel

Likes # 0

That was quick Thanks Yes I have been rewriting this stick a lot I do have a robust back up system and considering the relative cheapness of memory sticks it may be prudent to put this one out to graze cheers

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Apart from the fact that technology leads us to ever growing capacities and speeds and therefore sometimes rendering certain mem card / stick sizes such as 16Mb or 32Mb obsolete, it is worthwile to note that memory cards /sticks have a limited life expectancy.

There is a difference; single layer cards /sticks may allow in excess of maybe 100,000 read-write actions, whilst multi-layer cards may only allow around 10,000 to 15,000.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Also the physical wear on the contacts may make them unreliable, I have known the pins to break away from the internal circuit board and it's a fiddly job to re-solder them.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ah rats, Fruit Bat /\0/\, I've just treated myself to a 32gb stick only to find out it's considered outdated/obsolete by some ;-)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

lotvic

Don't mix up your Megs and Gigs

Your new stick won't be obsolete for a while yet

:0)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, phew, I'm pleased I mixed up my Megs and Gigs. Serves me right for not paying attention :) As it happens I do have an old 64MB usb stick in drawer that doesn't get used now.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Are you telling me my 8 inch floppies and flippies, with their enormous 1 Meg capacity, are out of date? ;-)

Peter.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Oh drat - I have still got 32Kb of ferrite bead memory - is that out of date now? grin

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Peter

Not if you still have something to read then with have you tried getting windows 8 drivers for a floppy drive, most new mother boards do'y have floopy controllers built in.

wiz-king

I could probably find a use for that on a couple of old machines.

Wonder what sort of memory this old machine (Witch) uses

:0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...