We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Infinity 40Gb usage - Is it enough?

Border View
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am in the of moving from o2 to BT Infinity. I dont down load films, but do use BBC iPlayer sometimes on my TV. My other main uses are family history research and browsing the internet.

The package I have been offered has a download limit of 40 Gb a month. Can anyone tell me if this will be sufficient. If you have any questions about my usage please feel free to ask.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

I would suggest that a 40GB limit per month is more than sufficient for your requirements. My use is very similar to yours, and although I have no download limit on my current ISP package I have only used just under 3GB in November to date.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I do similar to you and use about 6G a month

40G will be plenty for your needs.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Many thanks for responding. Waiting on MAC code from o2 - coming by e-mail. Spoke with chap from BT about 40Gb usage and he tells me that if (dont think I will) I exceed 40Gb in the first month they do not charge. After that its £5 for every 5Gb exceeded.

Will be able to keep an eye on it.

Silly I know, but quite excited at getting higher speeds. I've been on 2.4 download for ages now. Fastest was 2.8. Infinity are quoting 23.7. Yes, yes, yes.

Like this post  
Desert Andy

Likes # 0

If you use the Cloud or plan on using it, then you use a lot more data allowance.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You should be fine, as the others have said. By far the biggest culprit, as far as your use goes will be iPlayer.

Be aware that your Infinity downstream speed will probably vary for a week or so, and will then settle down.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

As per all others - I have 40GB use about 5-6GB per month and regularly watch SKY Sports (several football matches per month)

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the advice everyone.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

The only thing to watch out for is multiple users... When my daughter was at home, her iPlayer habit together with her mum's, plus my daughter being incessantly on YouTube, plus goodness knows what other streaming, plus my son's gaming (most of them downloaded) plus other daughter being home from college meant that we regularly used in excess of 100GB/month. Thank goodness for PlusNet's truly unlimited service - which, sadly, I believe they no longer offer.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Hi Ian - luckily I am the only one using the internet in our house. Hubby not into computers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks