We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unknown Tranaction on my Bank.

bristolgirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi. I had a call from my bank last night, to say that there was some fraudulent activity on my account. 2 attempts were made to pay to a pharmacy in the USA yesterday. Fortunately, they spotted it and stopped the transactions going through.

Yesterday too, I registered this card with Amazon. So I am thinking that maybe I have a Keylogger (not sure if that is the right term for it). I have superantispyware and Avast on my laptop but should I be using something else too to combat this problem?

Always appreciate all help and support given!!

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

You could try "asaware" which is quite good - and free and doubtless other furum users will add their bits later.

Search the forums for "spyware+removal"

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Suprised those haven't found anything, of course there could be a problem at the Amazon end.

Card cancelled?

Try malwarebytes

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your reply HondaMan!

Is asaware OK to use with the other AV's I have?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I also have Avast and I use Trusteer Rapport, downloaded it free from my Bank's website.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I assume Hondaman means Adaware I used to use it but found Malwarebytes to be better

Both will work Ok with your other stuff.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat.

Yes, my card has been cancelled. Superantispyware did find a pup.cnet I'm not even sure what this is and I'm pretty sure I haven't downloaded anything from cnet recently. Could this be it?

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

The problem is you can never be absolutely certain that you don't have some key-logger lurking, so its best to take extra precautions as well

Whenever I need to type something as sensitive as this into my PC, I always do it in stages. Firstly, in advance and with IE etc closed, I type the number, and all other relevant data (end date, name, security code) into either a spreadsheet or Word document and save it in an encrypted location on my HDD. When entering data, I don't do it in order (first few characters of number then security number then few more character of number then date etc.)

Then, when I need to enter the data I open the site and use copy and paste to enter the data as required to the site.

Like this post  
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Wow Xania. That is good advice. Many thanks! I shall have to remember to do all that too.

Thank you again Fruit Bat. I think I might give Malwarebytes a go then, especially if it will be OK with my other stuff.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If both of your security programs are freebies maybe time to Buy a decent one.You can get Emisoft cheap till Monday from my thread on the Helproom.

Never known anything to get past it yet anything dodgy and it will not let you open it.If you do open anything it will either give you a warning but usually removes it on the spot.

Of course there is always Malwarebyter Pro for a one off payment but I prefer the first one.

Have you purchased anything recently,or removed cash from a cash point.Bought anything from the Internet.

If you use your card in a shop that you do not normally use make sure you don't let the card out of your site in case it is swiped under the counter.

If none of those maybe you need to go to the Malware removal Forum and get them to check your computer out.

http://malwareremoval.com/forum/ Just explain your problem and they will take you through all of their procedures to make sure your computer is clean.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Thank you Jock1e. I will have to carry out those actions! I've got to go to London for a hospital appointment now, so I will be out of action for a few days. Hopefully, I managed to stop anything too untoward happening.

Thank you everybody for your help and advice!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer