We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Crash dump, Power kernel error

john bunyan

Likes # 0

Following recent MS updates on W7 desktop I had a series of crashes reported as Power kernel errors. In the end, to my shame, I found my fan/ heat sink had seized and was full of dust with fan bearings defunct. Crashes happened when trying to run Avira scans etc. I originally thought the updates were to blame.A Novatech £4.99 new fan / heat sink cured it!! What an idiot; I did not notice excessive heat from the tower.I share this as a few others may find it useful!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Surprising how much dust and fluff that the computer accumulates over the years.

Maybe a good clean out every 2nd year for most computers,and maybe once a year if you have the computer at floor level.Looks like we are all going to struggle tonight now you have your computer working properly again.

Thanks for sharing your problem with us and how you managed to fix it.Bet there are lots of folk out there that have never ever cleaned the inside of there computers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...