We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do you repair windows system restore or a recovery console without XP CD?

rizlo29

Likes # 0

My system won't allow these functions.

• Tags:
  • xp
Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I **can north, but files on my PC are corrupt. I can't open LNK files no matter if I'm in safe mode. PS I can bring up Windows restore page, the restore page is blank. I also used to be able to press a F key on restart to do a system recovery...but not anymore.**

Surely I can repair so I can press the f key and do a recovery.

Your own admission says that "Files on my PC are Corrupt" in which case you are going to have to run chkdsk etc. which will require you to insert the disc to repair the files.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

This ties in with thread

Starting a new thread on the same subject will just cause confusion.

Try

Turn on or restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen.

Then, press f11 while the “F11 (System Recovery)” message is displayed on the screen.

1. Click System Recovery in the HP Recovery Manager window.

2. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Surely I can repair so I can press the f key and do a recovery.

BUT you have just told me I also used to be able to press a F key on restart to do a system recovery...but not anymore.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/* Thanks - wasn't aware of other thread

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Exactly....i was able to use the f key to do a recovery and I am asking how to repair this. For all I know its one registry change hence asking how to repair without a disk which I don't have.

Surely the d drive isn't totally corrupt and needs a simple registry correction.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

I started another thread because the old one was getting too long and since that general question it's getting more specific. I need a solution on recovering system restore and recovery.

The fact I got new help on this new thread by other users shows the intent. We have gone through many trials and errors getting nowhere and need to be be more specific. Please delete the old thread...and forgive me for trying to be more specific and opening a new thread as I am desperate to sort this out after 40 plus hours going round in circles :/

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You MAY find something here enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Sorry to hear you have been going round in circles for 40 hours plus. I think if you can get your hands on a XP disc the quicker your problem will be sorted.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

TY I have received good help but nothing seems to work.

I stated in the other thread how I am disabled and unable to get to a shop to purchase a copy of XP...and I don't know anyone that has a copy. That's why I so desperately want to sort this with my partition.

I need my my internet for online shopping as I am housebound.

Guess I will need to phone a charity otherwise I will starve at this rate, might try get a loan to and buy a MAC...if only :)

Well thanks for help anyway.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Two methods to try that do not require you to repair XP registry:

Method one:

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.

2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.

3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.

4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."

5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot and it should automatically boot into the Recovery.

Method two:

boot into the recovery at first switch on using F key:

ClickHere "HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP and Compaq Presario Desktop computers made in spring of 2003 and later already come with a hidden preloaded recovery partition. This hidden partition can be used to recover all of the original software in the event of a major problem by pressing the F10 key repeatedly when the computer is first started." (that means as soon as you have pressed the power on button)

...worth a try anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow