We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do you repair windows system restore or a recovery console without XP CD?

rizlo29

Likes # 0

My system won't allow these functions.

• Tags:
  • xp
Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I'm afraid that if you haven't got the installation disc you can't do a recovery.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

I was hoping that I could repair registry with others help.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

I mean the partition to a recovery is still there, i just cant prompt it. Surely there's a way.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Can you boot into Safe Mode using the F8 key, then select "Last Known Good Configuration"

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

OR see here to start the System Restore Tool from the Command prompt in Safemode enter link description here

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

I can north, but files on my PC are corrupt. I can't open LNK files no matter if I'm in safe mode.

PS I can bring up Windows restore page, the restore page is blank. I also used to be able to press a F key on restart to do a system recovery...but not anymore.

I think I have a bad virus which stops any attempt to repair PC, Even at start buttun theirs no all programs or my Computer.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Sorry for bad english...i should have translated better.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe just brings up a blank system restore page.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

To be able to do any kind of Repair/Restore you are going to need an XP Installation disc. If you don't have one then see if you can borrow one.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

"To be able to do any kind of Repair/Restore you are going to need an XP Installation disc. If you don't have one then see if you can borrow one.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4188527/how-do-you-repair-windows-system-restore-or-a-recovery-console-without-xp-cd/#ixzz27AaLMhKF"

Even though on my D drive I have the XP installed? Doesn't make sense. Surely I can repair so I can press the f key and do a recovery.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room