We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fast BroadBand but Slow Web Sites

RISC OS user

Likes # 0

My Broadband speeds is approximately 5,000 kbps, however, some of the web sites I visit are very slow. I have pinged them using PingPlotter and find that the first result is about 35ms but the second and subsequent pings were giving lower readings and at times the sites were not reachable. I noticed that the hops which gave the most packet losses were my BB providers. Is this normal or could this be giving the slow web site responses? The sites which are slow are BBC, PC Advisor, Yahoo.co.uk and Google.com. There are others.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's like a car journey - the time it takes is dependant on the amount of other traffic and the speed limits. (Server speed at sending the page to you, the more that want it the slower it is as has to be shared out down the pipeline)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It depends on how slow you regard the sites are being activated, because as already mentioned various factors have to be taken into consideration.

Even when you do speed tests, these can vary, but one highly recommended and reliable speed tester is http://www.speedtest.net which will not only check local but further a field.

If you are really concerned, then it might be possible for your ISP to provide diagnostic advice. I did this with my ISP TalkTalk, and we monitored the situation over a few days, with the end results they were able to provide some solutions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)