We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Running old external hdd + formating etc

Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi gang,

I want to check the contents an old hdd before I get rid of it. It’s taken me 2 days to remove it from the Polar Tower case – not sure what the form factor is, but it takes a large Legend QDI m.board. I had to strip the whole case down to get at one retaining screw in the base of the drive !

The drive is an IBM DTTA-351010 E182115HG (IDE). I’ve Googled it & it seemed to be a good bit of kit – at the time.

I’ve connected it to a USB via an Adapter Cable kit – to my SATA desktop. I’ve used this on other HDD’s, & it was o.k.

The drive starts & runs o.k. The lights on the adapter work o.k. The machine recognises that I have another drive (set to Master), but won’t let me open it. It says it needs formatting. I’m guessing that its formatted to FAT/FAT32 – my machine is NTFS.

Of course, if I format it, I’ll lose everything on it.

I don’t recall having this problem with the other hdd’s that I’ve looked at, but I can’t really remember what either they, or my machine, was formatted to at the time.

Any ideas how to get round this please ?

As a last resort - and if I can find a PS2 rodent & k.board - I may be able to get it running in the original Polar case.

Many thanks

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Cheers LV:

I've just been looking at the pros'n'cons of the freezer method. If all else fails, that will be a last resort.

When you say make an 'image', I'm assuming you mean when or after I get to read it ?

Again, if all else fails, I'll get a cheapo to put in the old kit,,,, in fact, I have a couple that came out of my current desktop when I rebuilt it.

Its just that it'd be nice to finally see what's on it before I lose it.

thanks again

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

yes, you need to be able to read it to make an image, hope you manage get access to it.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

I took the cover off & started it up. I knew it was spinning, but wanted to see if anything was physically jammed/broken.

Before I plug in the data cable, the platter just spins – with the arm at rest near the outer edge.
When I plug in the data, I see the arm skim across the platter.
The Red LED (USB) on the data cable/adapter lights up confirming connection to USN section. The Green LED (IDE/BUSY) lights up sometimes flickers, like a PC/Drive lamp when its ‘reading’, which I think shows that its reaching the ‘Computer’ Drive list.

Now I have the cover off, I can see what makes the ‘clicking’ – it is the arm moving across the platter. It goes once, then twice – repeatedly: 1 – 2 – 1 – 2 . After each travers, there is a noise a bit like scraping. This occurs twice each time. Although I can’t see what’s causing it, I don’t think it has anything to do with anything touching the platter, as that’s spinning too fast. If anything was touching, it would be heard a lot faster.

When I unplug the data, this noise stops and the platter still spins. When I unplug the power supply, the arm returns to the centre of the platter.

I was half thinking of removing the platter to look for more evidence, but because the noise stops, I don’t think its worth it.

a) I don’t think I’ll try the freezer method. Even if wrapped/sealed fully, the ambient moisture in the unit would condense.

b) I might try to get another unit - if cheap enough - & transfer the platters. Hopefully this would enable me to retrieve my data, then have a hdd to sell – whichever one works.

c) If all else fails, I might just give up, and re format it – though it’d be a shame to miss what might still be on there,,,,,

Thanks all for your help so far.

I’ll update when I have more.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer