We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Change from POP3 to IMAP mail

mgmcc

Likes # 0

I help someone run a "one-man" business in which he uses POP3 mail with Outlook 2003 and, in order to have his mail available in multiple computers, IMAP would be a much better solution. At the moment, he has about 30 Sub-folders in Inbox, many of which contain a very large number of emails, so the question is:

If his email was changed from POP3 to IMAP, would the IMAP server automatically pick up the existing messages within the Inbox sub-folders? These messages must not be lost.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

No - the messages in the folders would not be available on the server unless the Outlook settings had previously asked for messages to be left on the server.

With regard to the large number of messages that must not be lost - I would not leave them in Outlook, but archive them saved onto an external storage device. Also, from a program operational point of view it is not recommended that you should create sub-folders from the Inbox, or any of the system folders. This can cause Outlook to crash, particularly when high volumes are involved. They should be set up as sub-folders of the Local Folders heading.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm confused by Sea Urchin's last 3 sentences. I use imap and Outlook 2007 (before that Outlook 2003). I find that the imap email account creates its own inbox separate from the main Outlook in box. Within the imap inbox I have 2 subfolders with appropriate message rules. These automatically sync with all of my devices.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Sorry Woolwell - I was talking about using Outlook with POP3 - ie before changing over to IMAP

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have re-read the previous postsI want to clarify a point. If the emails he already has have been downloaded onto Outlook and not left on server then they will not be lost. They should be regularly backed-up and archived. I keep a back up pst file for each account. If they have been left on server they could be available for download again. Personally I would back them up before the change.

A thing to watch is the limit of emails on the server. I regularly move old emails to archive folders and off the server, then back up the archive folder. Then I purge the imap folder of these old emails.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

If the emails he already has have been downloaded onto Outlook and not left on server then they will NOT be lost.

Now I'm confused - are you saying they will NOT be lost when using POP3?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I could have phrased that better! If he has already downloaded the emails to Outlook and has them backed up then they should not be lost when using pop3.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As per Sea Urchin says, He needs to drag those 'sub'folders from the Inbox and drop them into Local Folders. Inbox should not have any sub folders, neither should Sent or Outbox.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

lotvic & Sea Urchin - I'm sorry but what is the problem with subfolders in the inbox? I'm not aware of any problem with that. If it is do with size then you should regularly archive old e-mails and this can be set up automatically.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Apart from losing them all if Inbox gets corrupted.... I would have thought it easier to keep track of replies if each contact had their own folder that replies (sent emails) are also put in.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Mustn't hijack thread but there's usually a single pst file in Outlook (more for imap) so if that gets corrupted then not just the inbox gets corrupted. Outlook 2010 has conversation mode. I was wondering what the problem is with subfolders.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK