We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win XP new HDD install

Belto

Likes # 0

My original Laptop HDD failed. I have replaced it and not being familiar with installation, made a mistake on using original XP Pro CD. Cannot access to install.I think I made an error on F2 and selected incorrect boot sequence. I get no response from HDD to get started again to format HDD. Have Imade a total and final error.Is there anyway back to reboot?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Should be no problem to change the boot order so you can boot from the CD. What make/model is the laptop?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

In BIOS set first boot device as DVD 2nd as HDD

save and exit(F10)

when winows installed and reby to reboot take the CD out of the drive.

Like this post
Belto

Likes # 0

A not very popular Style-Note Model No M67SU. I have installed a Samsung 2.5" SATA HDD

Like this post
Belto

Likes # 0

Thanks fruitbat but I cannot a response from the monitor, it will not boot

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Take out the CD and remove the hard drive.

Now switch on and you should get a message telling you it can't find a boot device.

Press power button in for about 10 secs to turn off laptop

Now try to access the BIOS. If you can get that far then you can change boot to CD first. Save change and exit. Press power button in for about 10 secs to turn off laptop

Next put Hard drive in and power up, eventually you should get same message of no boot device (because there is no CD in and no op sys on HDD) Make sure bios has recognised the new HDD or when you do boot from install XP CD it won't have anywhere to install to.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Obviously you switch power on and off between above as necessary...

Like this post
Belto

Likes # 0

Thanks Lotvic, Removed CD, battery,removed HDD. Replaced Battery switched on, blank monitor Pressed button to turn off, Pressed on button for 10 secs, no response from monitor.

Frustrating!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Are you saying not even the bios shows or anything? there is no display at all not even a flicker? try moving the lid to see if it comes on. If not then you have a problem with laptop monitor. have you tried it with mains power? Do other lights come on?

Next to try is an external monitor if you have one.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

First- Do you get any response from the lapytop at all-- Noise-Beeps-lights, etc.?

If the answer is NO then you have a problem with the power supply connections.

If YES, then you need to carefully remove the HDD again and check the connections to the monitor, Are they secure or have you accidently disturbed them, when changing the HDD.

If they are OK, the next step is to check all internal components (including Memory); If you do not feel confident about this I strongly advise asking someone with more experience to assist you.

terry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

For the future: Another point to remember is always use mains power when installing a new op sys.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite