We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to create a backup

ponytail

Likes # 0

On browsing through a computer magazine it days you should backup what is on your C driveand anything else you cannot afford to lose.Can I do this by copy and paste copying what is on the C drive and pasting it onto my external drive.I already have some important documents on my external drive.Can someone advise as have not done this before.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

The best/easiest way to create backups is to use Acronis or similar, saving the backups to your external drive. Cost about £20 'ish and worth every penny. Just Google - Acronis.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

You have the option to either use a program like Acronis. I've used other backup software, which can up your entire drive, partition or selected folders and compresses it into a single archive. You would then need that program to access your files within the archive. I don't know if Acronis works like that.

The other option is to copy and paste them to your external drive, which you have mentioned. This means the files are easily readable and accessible and you have them in 2 locations in case of hard drive failure or windows problems. You can additionally copy anything you definitely wouldn't want to lose to DVD. This is the method I've used for years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer