We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Attempting to view old images and videos

jonem81

Likes # 0

I have a Western Digital external storage device, and I have stored many different types of images and videos on it, mostly from DVD's. Now trying to view them, I am getting error messages such as : JPG image. "failed to open document", or "Couldn't display IMG_1234.JGP, because of an error loading the data". I am a little disconcerted about this, because these are very valuable family images and videos. Has anyone had a similar problem, with an answer,please?

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

lotvic

Thank you.

Woolwell

That was my original idea to store all of my Dvd content on an external drive!

How to keep files safe (forever!) is probably a very difficult question, and it reminds me of the old backup adage, something like Son, Father Grandfather, where multiple copies are advised, and so called to remember the sequence of saving.

Good advice, and I have learned a lesson. Your method closely resembles the old advice.

Thank you

Ian of Northampton

Yes! - Just read your advice - see my reply to Woolwell!

Thank you

Fermat's Theorem

Yes, again I refer you to my reply to Woolwell. Your advice is very welcome.

Thank you

jonem81

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK