We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP Pavilion G6 135254 Using F8 key???

compumac

Likes # 0

I have a relative who has an HP Pavilion G6 laptop. After seemingly receiving an e-mail from Norton(??) to click on a link in the e-mail to update his software he cannot now get past a grey start up screen at start up and is asking for my help over the phone.

1) He is not computer literate by any stretch of imagination.

2) He makes life difficult when trying to help him.

3)He cannot always remember what buttons he pressed and/or in which order.

I have assumed that pressing F8 will enable anyone to access Safe Mode and the alternatives, but when he presses F8 he seems to arrive at an ADVANCED Boot Options!

Is the Pavilion Safe Mode access via F8 or not?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes Advanced Boot Options is what you need for any of the latest versions of Windows XP-W8

the menus will vary from system to system but all contain safe mode.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Suggest he tries *last known good configuration if available.

What op system is he using?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat/\0/\

I have spoken for over two hours on the phone with him this afternoon, but with him going off at a tangent exploring by himself by pressing various buttons - life becomes difficult. He is using Win7 and we were able to Restore back to November 6th, but I began to realise that there is more than one problem and it needs someone other than him pressing the buttons. NIS 2013 does not function and there are other "THINGS" that are happening that he is unable to describe in a lucid manner. To elucidate on the difficulties I have - he has had a laptop and used it fairly regularly for more than two years and accessing the interent but in conversation today he asked me "what is the internet and when do I know when it is on, and how do I get on it?".

My conclusion is that he will have to swallow the bullet and drive the 50 odd miles to me for me to have a look at it or take it somewhere local to himself.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

tap F8 at start up

when advanced boot meno comes up

select startup repair

do not touch machine untill finished

should then start windows OK

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat/\0/\ Thanks for that - It is something that I have tried to convey to him but... Will give it one more go.....

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat/\0/\ Apologies for last post. We had actually done that in the end and he was able to bootup to an earlier date but there are other problems with the PC.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What's the likelihood of him having everything backed up?

If he has do a factory restore.

HP/Compaq

1. Reboot, and repeatedly press F10 (F11) at the HP logo until the recovery screen appears.

2. When the recovery screen appears, press "Next" and then "Yes" to perform a non-destructive recovery.

3. To perform a destructive recovery, click "Advanced" and then "Yes".

4. After the recovery is finished, the laptop will reboot.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

Could you persuade him to install Teamviewer so you can access his computer remotely (if it will still boot, of course). This free prog has saved me hours of grief with my brother who lives 70mls away! If too difficult, would suggest you install it yourself when there to make it easier the next time he has a problem.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

onthelimit I had put Teamviewer on his first laptop but he had that stolen. I had suggested that when he got his new laptop that we put Teamviewer onto it for this very reason (when that was in situ I had managed on a number of occasions to rescue the situation)and also create an Acronis image but he jumped in with two feet the day he received it and just pressed buttons to see what happens.

Fruit Bat/\0/\ No backup at all despite me siggesting the need for same.

He makes life difficult to guide through any process as he gets very agitated when trying to assist him. If he was not a relative I would not have gone as far as I have. At this time it is working, after a fashion, and I have suggested that he leaves it in that condition for a couple of days to see if anything crops up and will review it then.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback