We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Information required on Desktop Software for Newsletter?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

We have a community newsletter that is published approximately 4/5 a year. At present we use software like Serif which does the job intended, but we are thinking of going slightly 'better'.

Any suggestions for a software pack that will do the job to a better level, finance and expertise is limited.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I produce a quarterly magazine using Serif PagePlus X6. I also use it for a two sided weekly news-sheet and have used it for large (64 page plus) booklets. The export to pdf is very useful and I wouldn't move to anything else for the type of job you want. Any 'upgrade' is likely to more towards a commercial piece of software which could be quite expensive.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Woolwell

You appear to use a similar method that we are using. We did check into other 'ready for the printer' software, and this was going to cost in the region of £500.00 which the council will most probably 'purchase' for us as a community funding scheme. We thought that we could and would use that money better elsewhere?.

A system that we are running is for the 'community' to have access to a computer, and so put their bits and pieces to the newsletter, with the proof reading before printing. So the method of printing must be easy and universal, if you know what I mean!.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spuds - You mentioned "ready for the printer". I find that my publications produced in Serif PagePlus are ready for the printer. For the last 5 years I have had a booklet commercially printed. I have exported it as a pdf file, put it on a memory stick and taken it to the printers. Every time they have no quibbles, have easily opened it in their software (Adobe Indesign, I think) and have not had to make any alterations. It is easier with PagePlus 6 than the earlier versions.

There are pointers on design in the resource guide. I avoid their templates though and prefer to create my own publication. I find it important to avoid fancy fonts and try to keep it simple. Almost all of my publications are in black and white because of the cost of colour printing. I will use colour for small one off runs.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Should have added that I have had less success with exporting as an epub. However I'm still learning on that!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Woolwell- I have just conducted some rather pleasing internet work on reviews including some youtube tutorials on X6, must say it looks very impressive with good results and high score ratings. Price wise seems to range from £55.00 to £82.00, with product prices being much cheaper in the USA. Think that I might contact Serif as one of their 'valued' subscribers, and see if they can do an offer for X6?.

I like the memory stick idea. Will take further action on that.

One review seemed to suggest Scribus as a free alternative, so I have just downloaded a copy, so as to see what the interests of that product might be?.

Mar7- The newsletter we are presently producing is getting rather aged,even though its far far better than our first attempts many years ago with the hand crank duplicator. Some of our other newsletter community competitor's are having rethinks on their methods of production and costs, so we are thinking of following the same trend, but within finance limits.

Thanks both for the interest shown, very much appreciated.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

If you get onto the Serif Email mailing list they will often give you 'Special Prices' on their software.

As a 'Valued Customer'I had PagePlus X6 offered at £29.95 this week, so a considerable saving over the prices you have found.

As to being a 'Valued Customer' I have to say I have NEVER bought anything from them just used the free downloads. If you do phone them don't be pulled into buying anything you don't want. They can be very persuasive. Someone I know was persuaded into spending far more than he intended.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

BT

I have used Serif for many years, and use to have very regular discount offers from them,including freebies and trials, but I seem to have missed out on the latest PagePlus X6, hence my comment "see if they can do an offer".

Doing some checks yesterday, there appears to be a good supply of X4 and X5 available, with one possibly others brand new sealed X6 on auction finishing soon.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Don't forget that you can get a free trial with Serif.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Final Update

Just thought that I would inform you that we were offered a Serif package consisting of PagePlus X6, Full comprehensive manual, Place Plus Image Collection for £29.95. Whether this is the same package offer BT mentioned or later promotion offer to get rid of stock, I wouldn't know.

Perhaps a better and improved PagePlus X7 is on the horizon for 2013?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...