We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Baidu Search Engine- removal request

daveac41

Likes # 0

This Search engine has recently appeared on my PC. Despite many attempts via Google to get rid of it, nothing seems to work. It's hanging on like a limpet. Any ideas, please?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I take it you have tried some of those.

http://www.ehow.com/how8160507rid-baidu.html

Or go to your add ons and remove it from there.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Forum

See if that one works.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Or from another forum

1. Open C:\Program Files\Common Files and locate folder named “Spigot”

2. delete "Spigot" folder.

3. Change your browser’s default search engine.

If u cannot delete that "Spigot" folder, open ur task manager, click processes, locate "searchsetting' anda click "End Process" then u repeat step 1 until 3. ;)

I would imagine if that works you would still need to remove it from your add ons.

Like this post
daveac41

Likes # 0

Hi, Jock1e,

There's no mention of Spigot on my C drive, ehow link shows nothing, and there's no mention of Searchsetting in my task manager box. And it doesn't show in my Firefox Add-ons. Like I said , it's hanging on like a limpet.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe try running Malwarebytes to see if it finds it.You get the pro version for a fortnight then it reverts back to the free version.

Like this post
daveac41

Likes # 0

You ain't going to believe this, but I have that on my PC!! Didn't find it!!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I suppose you tried clicking on the arrow in the search bar and removing Baidu if it is on there.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I just had a read through this forum [Emisoft] and if it is the same problem that you have it could take a bit of shifting.

Emisoft

Like this post
daveac41

Likes # 0

Hi Jock1e,

I reinstalled in the end - dunno how I got this thing.

Thanks for all your help, though,

Dave

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...