We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Motherboard Questions & help for new I7 Sandybridge Build

Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Hello

Putting together a list of parts for building a new desptop for Christmas using a I7 2700K 3.5GHz Skt 1155 Sandybridge

I am looking at the Gigabyte sandybridge compatable boards but I am put off thinking they might not be good because of some have parralel ports and some with built in VGA/DVI/HDMI graphics.

I was lead to believe with having onboard graphics especially the processor is throttled because the chipset is weak because of this. Have things changed and should I worry about buying a board with onboard Graphics even though i will be fitting a dedicated PCi Express card ?

Thanks for reading and thank u for any guidance !

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

All these SandyBridge mobo will come with onboard gx but can only be activated with an appropriate CPU such as the i7 2700K which has a built in gx controller.

You don't have to use it ( need to be enabled in the bios) because you'll be using a 3rd party gx card but a lot of people prefer to using that to start with particularly if they have a limited budget.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thanks retep888

Budget isn't a problem, the machine will be used for Animated video creation and will be having Adobe Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash infact most of the Adobe suite.

I am trying to keep the motherboard cost between £80 - £135

My main problem is which of the intel Skt 1155 sandybridge compatible motherboard chipsets are best if it was the choice between 2 on the market i would have no problem googling forthe answer but there are several so I am so confused.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 1

I understand what you mean but the software programme's performance normally depends on the CPU/GX card/Ram/Hdd rather than the mobo chipset.

I've the SandyBridge i7 2700K on Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 click here /GTX580 with multiple SSDs on RAID setup configured many months ago which handles all your afore mentioned Adobe programmes as well as gaming with ease & absolutely no hiccup at all. The more or less the same but cheaper non-pro version of Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 can be had for around £100 click here

However the SandyBridge & Z68 are older hardwares now & to utilise PCI-e 3.0 for your newer generation GX card you'll need IvyBridge CPU (you can put IvyBridge CPU on Z68 mobo after bios update) but I'd say you should go for IvyBridge with Z77/H77 mobo just for future proof.

You might have heard about higher temp on the IvyBridge but I think you'd get a good after market CPU cooler for your high end rig,right?

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Excellent retep888 !

That answers my questions well and gives me something ot consider now. I was lost a fair bit before so thank you for you help !

Cheers

Steven

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Excellent retep888 !

That answers my questions well and gives me something ot consider now. I was lost a fair bit before so thank you for you help !

Cheers

Steven

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Excellent retep888 !

Cheers

Steven

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room