We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Avast - Warning - Trojan Horse Blocked

AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi

I'm needing some advice please.

Laptop, running Win Vista, has Avast (Free)

My friend is having warning notices pop up on the Avast pop up, red, warning it had blocked a Trojen Horse. Being concerned, she asked me what this is about and what should she do!!! See here for screen dump of warning - Trojan Horse Blocked

So, I have been over and had a look, taken the screen shot when the warning appeared. I decided it would be best to do a Full Scan (Avast! free) which came up with No Threats Found.

Possibly stupidly, I clicked on 'More Details' and it opened what appeared to the an Avast website, which seemingly is promoting the paid for version. See here for screen shot Avast Web Page

I've tried Google search to find out if this is just scaremongering people into buying the paid for version or is this actually a Trojan that needs removing but I've not found anything about quite this.

Please can someone advise. I'm obviously concerned that she has an something nasty but have no experience with this situation so am a bit out of my depth here.

Thanks, I hope you know how grateful I am of help from you

Cheers

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks for this information, dr yes.

Ok, so to get rid of this, what do I need to do, please?

Then, what other (free, hopefully) software would be advised to allow better protection of the laptop? Would MSE perhaps be a better 'all-rounder'? Clearly should have Spybot, Malwarebytes to run regularly but I'm not familiar with other alternatives.

Thank you, guys, I do appreciate your help

Cheers

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I would probably Quarantine it instead of removing it.

I would also check that they are running the latest version of Java,If not remove all old versions and download the latest version.

I would probably keep Avast even in the pro version you get the odd false positive but it has to be better than MSE.

Maybe get them to get the Pro version of MalwareBytes as it lasts forever.

I use the pay for version of Emisoft Anti Malware which you can pick up for £16 it has full time protection and so far nothing has got by it.It just will not open bad sites.

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

Maybe I'm missing something but you don't have to do anything. Avast blocked a threat before it infected the laptop which it does very well. I have the self same message sometimes when it blocks a threat.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I agree with michaelw - Avast is working well and prevented the download of a Trojan. Job Done.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Of course, don't go rushing into deleting, I get these from time to time...the clue is in the info..."Blocked". Do a full scan if it will set your mind at rest and congratulate yourself on installing Avast, one of the best freebies.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree with dr yes, an entry on definitions list for the visicom antiphishing software and the signatures are not encrypted.

Object: h t t p ://.../121118112548-m.zip|121118112548-m.list Infection: JS:ScriptSH-inf[Trj] Process: C:\ProgramData...>visicom_antiphishing.exe

Uninstall visicom if you want to get rid.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No need to panic, Have a look at the log entries in Avast | Real-Time Shields | File System Shield | Shield log

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi guys

Thank you all for your advice. Yes, I felt it was possibly not a major disaster! However, obviously needed to be sure.

Yes, I did a full scan and it came up 'No Threats Found'.

Whether the warning is still popping up will be known once the laptop has been used again, so may hear something later today.

In the meantime, I won't panic, lotvic!

Thanks, will post back when I have news or further questions.

Cheers

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I expect it will pop up each time the File System Shield gets to that file in its checking process. When you get chance have a look at the log.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Umm - where do I find the log, please? ... and, once found, what do I do then?

Sorry, but I am really not clued up on this side of things at all [embarrassed grin]

Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days