We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell studio XPS shuts down screen after 15 mins.

suepyr

Likes # 0

I timed it. Fifteen minutes and it shuts down. At first I thought I had a virus but then I got the blue screen twice. It restarted and I tried to put Win 8 on it. That didn't work so I pulled it out for future research and bought a new HD. It is still shutting down after the 15 minutes as I tried to put an OS on the new HD. I blew it out this morning so all the dust is gone. Fans work, and the power box lights are on....HELP???!!!!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Did you get all the dust and fluff of the heatsink on the CPU, overheating would be the normal cause of it shutting down.maybe try reseating the memory to see if that helps.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry just realised it is a laptop so ignore the heatsink bit.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The only other thing that I can think of is running it without the battery to see if that makes any difference.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

pity you have tried to reinstall

the error code on the blue screen would have told us where the problem lies

as you have changed HDD that eliminates dad hard drive or virus / malware

that leaves - overheat - faulty power supply - bad memory module as most likely causes.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it's a laptop and you 'blew it out' you prob blew the dust in.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features