We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any Ideas how to reformat a Compaq v6000 with these issue's?

rizlo29

Likes # 0

Ok, today I downloaded a antivirus software that made my PC slow, so I tried to uninstall It. However, after uninstalling the software then rebooting my laptop the laptop started acting weird. Every time I clicked on control panel or any other windows program...a dialogue box came up saying something along the lines of...windows cannot open the file. Even Firefox etc doesn't open. The only thing that works, even in safe mode, is internet explorer that's how I am able to right this.

Also when I go to start and scroll over all programme's in a attempt to try and do a restore...nothing happens. Also now there is no run button to do a command prompt. I take it this is the virus designed to stop me fixing my laptop?

Any Ideas please? Even F keys don't respond all the time as I know F8 usually brings up a boot options menu.

Any help much appreciated

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS the F Keys that I quoted above are for a HP Laptop as I have one

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Ive tried all the F key 3-4 times...none boot the recovery partition. I've done a full recovery atleat 5 times on this PC....but the recovery key always worked to now.

Is it because of a registry problem it won't boot to recovery? If so what patches and files do I need to merge to regedit?

Thanks.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Ive tried all the F key 3-4 times...none boot the recovery partition. I've done a full recovery atleat 5 times on this PC....but the recovery key always worked to now.

Is it because of a registry problem it won't boot to recovery? If so what patches and files do I need to merge to regedit?

Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Registry problems will not affect the recovery partition or BIOS settings to start the recovery procedure.

You need to be tapping F11 as soon as the machine is switched on.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

I do tap f11 and the rest but none bring up the recovery console.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

PS I can get BIOS up and f8 last known config etc...but no recovery console.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more