We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any Ideas how to reformat a Compaq v6000 with these issue's?

rizlo29

Likes # 0

Ok, today I downloaded a antivirus software that made my PC slow, so I tried to uninstall It. However, after uninstalling the software then rebooting my laptop the laptop started acting weird. Every time I clicked on control panel or any other windows program...a dialogue box came up saying something along the lines of...windows cannot open the file. Even Firefox etc doesn't open. The only thing that works, even in safe mode, is internet explorer that's how I am able to right this.

Also when I go to start and scroll over all programme's in a attempt to try and do a restore...nothing happens. Also now there is no run button to do a command prompt. I take it this is the virus designed to stop me fixing my laptop?

Any Ideas please? Even F keys don't respond all the time as I know F8 usually brings up a boot options menu.

Any help much appreciated

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

ok, let's try importing a reg file, go to webpage http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm and follow the instructions. Go to the last one on the list and do the zip file fix first if the others won't extract.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Posted Today at 12:10AM

"ok, let's try importing a reg file, go to webpage http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm and follow the instructions. Go to the last one on the list and do the zip file fix first if the others won't extract.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4188056/any-ideas-how-to-reformat-a-compaq-v6000-with-these-issues/?ob=datea&pn=4#ixzz279auIs4d"

Tried that, but it didn't work. Ive just followed a online tutorial to manually fix the registry. I was trying to fix the exe.file problem...but the defaults and values are set correct in registry.

So why doesn't windows now how to open exe.files if its set up correct?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As\I said you Removed Avast and its left it in Regedit, its looking for Avast.exe

Why do you not try what I said and download Avast from the Avast site and load it you have nothing to loose. as by what i can see you are not running any Anti-Virus at this time

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As\I said you Removed Avast and its left it in Regedit, its looking for Avast.exe

Why do you not try what I said and download Avast from the Avast site and load it you have nothing to loose. as by what i can see you are not running any Anti-Virus at this time

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you have safemode with command prompt working or just command prompt at the command prompt retry

sfc /scannow

press enter

and see what happens

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Avast is one of the only programs that open as I learned this morning. This morning, I logged on tow windows and Avast audio said, Avast had updated, so I clicked on the program and it opened. I ran a scan it found 1 virus I moved it to chest but still no joy.

Now I can open Firefox to and a few other programs by going to task manager and pasting the target into task manager.

Can't I just repair restore or the recovery of my disk manually?

TY

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

I did that scan yesterday, fruitbat. When it had finished, a Dialogue box came up. I had to transfer too disk I think.

I will run the scan again now. And let you know the result in the next hour as it took a long time to do the scan yesterday,

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Just done the scan, Fruitbat.

A dialogue box pops up after the scan saying...Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your windows professional CD2 now.

Then there's 3 options, retry, more info and cancel.

More info bring up a box saying.... possible reasons for this problem: You have inserted the wrong CD I.E a different product CD than the version installed.

The CD-ROM drive in your system is not functioning.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Two methods to try that do not require you to repair XP registry:

Method one:

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.

2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.

3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.

4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."

5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot and it should automatically boot into the Recovery.

Method two:

boot into the recovery at first switch on using F key:

ClickHere "HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP and Compaq Presario Desktop computers made in spring of 2003 and later already come with a hidden preloaded recovery partition. This hidden partition can be used to recover all of the original software in the event of a major problem by pressing the F10 key repeatedly when the computer is first started." (that means as soon as you have pressed the power on button)

...worth a try anyway.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Recovery should be F11........... F10 is for CMOS settings

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more