We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any Ideas how to reformat a Compaq v6000 with these issue's?

rizlo29

Likes # 0

Ok, today I downloaded a antivirus software that made my PC slow, so I tried to uninstall It. However, after uninstalling the software then rebooting my laptop the laptop started acting weird. Every time I clicked on control panel or any other windows program...a dialogue box came up saying something along the lines of...windows cannot open the file. Even Firefox etc doesn't open. The only thing that works, even in safe mode, is internet explorer that's how I am able to right this.

Also when I go to start and scroll over all programme's in a attempt to try and do a restore...nothing happens. Also now there is no run button to do a command prompt. I take it this is the virus designed to stop me fixing my laptop?

Any Ideas please? Even F keys don't respond all the time as I know F8 usually brings up a boot options menu.

Any help much appreciated

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Sill no fix.

Ive just tried "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" again and it brings up a blank restore page. Is it possible to fix the dll's online?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My suggestion for what it worth is Go to Avast Site and download Avast Free and install it.I think that as you did not uninstall it the correct way its still trying to run it as its in regedit

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS you also need AVG uninstall software to clean AVG from the PC

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Thanks.

The thing is though, I'm able to download stuff but when I go to open the download, I get the dialogue box telling me windows can't open the file.

It's so frustrating especially when I don't know anyone with a XP disk and I am disabled and house bond and the moment so can't go shopping for a copy of the XP disk.

I need to sort this to get my shopping online :/

Under normal circumstances, I'd do as advised and get a copy of the disk...but I can't and need to be able to shop online.

TY Both for your help though, I appreciate it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Google for 'virus now file associations lost' and see if anything looks familiar to your problem.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Just googled your suggestion, lotvic.

I came across this which sums my problem up.

" So I was on my desktop, using it as I usually do (internet, IMs, etc.) and out of absolutely nowhere, my desktop shortcuts stopped working. I figured Windows was just wigging out a bit, so I restarted. Now it LOOKS to me as if every file on my computer has lost file associations, and doesn't know what program to use to open the file. This isn't too much of a problem since I can just redo them myself, but there's a major issue here in that this has also affected .lnk and .exe files. So basically, I can't run any programs at all. Shortcuts on my desktop, start menu, quick launch bar, or in Windows Explorer all ask me what program I want to use to open them when I click them. Bizarrely enough, this is also affecting .exe files. If I click an executable in Explorer or try and run it from the Run... tool it asks me what program I want to open .exe files with, and rightclicking only provides "Open..." on the context menu as if .exe files are some unknown file type. It's downright weird.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on with this?

EDIT: My apologies, forgot to add that this is on Windows XP Professional. Also it seems, for whatever reason, that image files (.jpeg, .gif, .png, pretty much everything) doesn't seem to be affected by this. "

The response to this post from another member gave links to fix, but clinking the links on my PC didn't open any window. However the OA reported this solved his problem?

I can put a link up but don't want to advertise any other website.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

File asscotiation fix here]1

this shold put all default file settings back to normal

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Yet again, thank you fruitbat.

But the problem is...i can use my internet connection to download and transfer files...but i can't open the files downloaded.

I need windows to be able to open downloads...but windows say's it cannot open the file.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rizlo29's been to BeepingComputer and the fix is 2 zip files from dougknox as well.

You have to download the zip files, extract them, then to open / run the .reg files manually specify regedit to open them

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Yes that's the site I was directed to by google.

Anyway I cant copy n paste the windows dialogue box that appears when ever i click on a prog...but this is word for word.

Windows cannot open this file:

File name blah:

to open this file , windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look up automatically, or you can manually select from the list of program's on your computer.

ps then there's 2 options.

1/ use the web service to find the appropriate program

2/ select the program from the list.

PS the list is always empty.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites