We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any Ideas how to reformat a Compaq v6000 with these issue's?

rizlo29

Likes # 0

Ok, today I downloaded a antivirus software that made my PC slow, so I tried to uninstall It. However, after uninstalling the software then rebooting my laptop the laptop started acting weird. Every time I clicked on control panel or any other windows program...a dialogue box came up saying something along the lines of...windows cannot open the file. Even Firefox etc doesn't open. The only thing that works, even in safe mode, is internet explorer that's how I am able to right this.

Also when I go to start and scroll over all programme's in a attempt to try and do a restore...nothing happens. Also now there is no run button to do a command prompt. I take it this is the virus designed to stop me fixing my laptop?

Any Ideas please? Even F keys don't respond all the time as I know F8 usually brings up a boot options menu.

Any help much appreciated

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Just to give you more of a understanding of this occurred.

Around about two months ago, I had AVG software set up and all was well. Then one day my PC froze so I pressed down the off button. When I restarted the PC I got a blue screen of death but managed to do a format.

I then tried to do a scan with AVG but it wouldn't allow me so then today I looked for other anti virus soft ware which brought me to a review page. One review was AVast...which I know is trusted, so I clicked download from that page.

After that I went to a IM sight which plays music and it was breaking bad. Others suggester ed it was the download which I stated I downloaded today.

So I went to control panel to delete what I downloaded today then my PC froze then on reboot the problems occurred.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

I've just tried "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe". Nothing happens when I type it into command prompt.

And I haven't a XP CD to try your other suggestions.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Start -run -type

sfc /scannow

let windows find and replace missing or corrupt windows files (the scan may take some time)

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

That doesn't work either. Ans whist I was at safe mode with command mode I tried ipconfig to test that and even that didn't work?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Looks like

You are going to have to borrow an XP CD and do a repair install

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Thanks.

I've just tried downloading from the link you gave me. After it had downloaded, I clicked to open the file and a web page opened reading...."Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.

File Type: Executable File

File Extension: .exe

Description: A Windows Executable file is a program / application that runs on Windows. You may search the following Web site for related software and information: Search the web"

Am I right in thinking that I can reformat from the link you gave without having to copy to a disk first? If so, Is there a windows component I can download which will allow me to open the file?

TY

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Thanks.

I've just tried downloading from the link you gave me. After it had downloaded, I clicked to open the file and a web page opened reading...."Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.

File Type: Executable File

File Extension: .exe

Description: A Windows Executable file is a program / application that runs on Windows. You may search the following Web site for related software and information: Search the web"

Am I right in thinking that I can reformat from the link you gave without having to copy to a disk first? If so, Is there a windows component I can download which will allow me to open the file?

TY

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The link in my above post is just more information on how to do a repair install there should be nothing trying to download from that site.

You obviously have something nasty on your machine redirecting you somewhere else.

Delete whatever file you downloaded

At this stage I would be tempted to make sure I had the windows product key for your machine a do a full format and clean reinstall of XP.

You can do this from a borrowed XP CD.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

I've managed to get command prompt working and I am now doing the scan you showed earlier. So hopefully, I'll be able to sort this out without a disk.

I found this on the web.

"ok people here is a good one for you! im quite sure i downloaded a virus (well when i eventually managed to do a scan there were somthing like 5000 issues!!) to start of with my computer restarted and and would not load, the blue screen came up saying windows had shut down to protect my files. so i restarted it again and before the blue screen there was options to load in safe mode (some other variations of safe mode) normal windows and to load windows using the last settings that worked, i tried normal windows first and that came up with the blue screen again, however the third time i noticed the last working settings option and that loaded windows, or rather i was logged on but the only thing there was my desktop picture, so i Ctrl + Alt + Del and got the task manager and tried run explorer.exe and it came up with the error sign saying windows doesn't know what program to run this withso either choose from list of programs or search the internet, so first i try and use explore.exe to run explorer.exe, and yea that didnt work. i managed to get windows (sort of) working by trying to open things from my firefox download list using explorer.exe and now i have my desktop files and the start bar and can open folders but and programs wont work, i managed to run a scan using my McAfee by right clicking on my computer and clicking scan it treated about 5000 somthings. i restartedmy computer and this time windows ran but with the same issues, i can run regedit because it is a .exe and i cant open any other program. i have read some other posts and they mention iexplorer.exe that isnt running on my computer (that im aware of) and i cant find the file. oh and also hidden files wont unhide themselfs"

and command prompt is now working.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I wouldn't worry about that.

lets see what happens after you have done the repair.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more