We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any Ideas how to reformat a Compaq v6000 with these issue's?

rizlo29

Likes # 0

Ok, today I downloaded a antivirus software that made my PC slow, so I tried to uninstall It. However, after uninstalling the software then rebooting my laptop the laptop started acting weird. Every time I clicked on control panel or any other windows program...a dialogue box came up saying something along the lines of...windows cannot open the file. Even Firefox etc doesn't open. The only thing that works, even in safe mode, is internet explorer that's how I am able to right this.

Also when I go to start and scroll over all programme's in a attempt to try and do a restore...nothing happens. Also now there is no run button to do a command prompt. I take it this is the virus designed to stop me fixing my laptop?

Any Ideas please? Even F keys don't respond all the time as I know F8 usually brings up a boot options menu.

Any help much appreciated

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Op system? I assume XP as you are talking about a Run button?

What was the antivirus program you downloaded?

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Hi.

Yes it's XP and the antivirus was Avast. It also downloaded a few other software including a PC clean up which made me suspicious.

TY

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

Hi.

Yes it's XP and the antivirus was Avast. It also downloaded a few other software including a PC clean up which made me suspicious.

TY

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Avast is a good antivirus, I use it myself, If downloaded from the Avast site it shouldn't be a problem.

You need to use the correct tool to uninstall it properly here

What were the other tools?

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

I think I might have gone to the wrong site to download as I downloaded Avast as I knew it had good rep and never thought I'd have issue's with the software..

I was uninstalling the programs that came with the download package with windows control panel when my PC froze so rebooted then the problems occurred. I'm not sure if I got round to actually deleting Avast itself before my PC froze...but I did delete a few things that came in the download before the pc freeze.

PS

I usually download from Cnet but this wasn't Cnet I downloaded from today. Maybe a virus site?

Now I don't know where to start to fix because no windows components are working.

TY

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Restore XP

Boot to the command prompt and type:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter and follow the on-screen prompts to restore to an earlier date/time

if will not boot to command prompt then:

Restore from recovery console http://www.myfixes.com/articles/system

boot from the XP CD. Start Windows Setup and press R to access the recovery console. Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one. Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\ CD "system volume information_resto~1" DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose) CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY Registrymachine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System COPY Registrymachine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software COPY Registrymachine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam COPY Registrymachine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security COPY Registryuser_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

TY

I will try and take that in and try it loool. I'm not PC savvy. I will update you if I don't mess up and unable to connect again. If I am unable to respond I will borrow my sisters PC tomorrow for more help.

I appreciate your help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The above is to get it to restore without losing anything

if you have everything you need backed up then you could try:

HP/Compaq laptops. 1. Reboot, and repeatedly press F10 (F11) at the HP logo until the recovery screen appears. 2. When the recovery screen appears, press "Next" and then "Yes" to perform a non-destructive recovery. 3. To perform a destructive recovery, click "Advanced" and then "Yes". 4. After the recovery is finished, the laptop will reboot.

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

I have done a re-format before by using the F key. I've tried many times tonight going from the escape key, all the way to the delete key on the top row of keys on my keyboard, but nothing gets the option to reformat up?

F8 Brings up reboot options now and then. F10 is setting but no format option. F4 does same as F8 but I'm sure that used to give format option. It's like all options to fix this are closed.

Must be a good virus. Never have I had issue's like this. If worse came to worse I'd just reformat...but I cant even do that?

Like this post
rizlo29

Likes # 0

I have done a re-format before by using the F key. I've tried many times tonight going from the escape key, all the way to the delete key on the top row of keys on my keyboard, but nothing gets the option to reformat up?

F8 Brings up reboot options now and then. F10 is setting but no format option. F4 does same as F8 but I'm sure that used to give format option. It's like all options to fix this are closed.

Must be a good virus. Never have I had issue's like this. If worse came to worse I'd just reformat...but I cant even do that?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings