We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Aspire RAM Upgrade

xania

Likes # 0

I need to upgrade the RAM on an Acer Aspire 1640 series laptop. I have tried just lifting up the RAM but it seems to be locked in place. The Service Guide makes no mention of removing the RAm and the User guide only mentions that it 'clicks into place' when you insert the new RAM. Is there a catch I have to release to life up the old RAM, and, if so, where is it, please.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try this youtube video for your laptop

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Moved to Tech Helproom from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Scroll down to Aspire 1640 user's guide PDF here it shows you need to gently press the ram until it 'clicks' then slide out slightly diagonally towards the hinge side. Reverse of how to install new ram.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Sorry Fruit Bat /\0/\, but this only sahows the laptop exterior and screen.

rdave13 - thanks for this. I don't have access to the laptop at preset - owner gone away for a fewe days and forgot to leave it for me - butr will try as soon as I can and will report back.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Where did you get the new ram from? When I added more ram to my Acer laptop the ram came with installation instructions. It can be a bit fiddly and, on mine, it came out an angle.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Not bought the new RAM yet - want to make sure I can fit it first. Where did youj get yours from that you got Acer instructions?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I bought from mrmemory but on reflection I am not sure that it had specific Acer instructions. You can contact them.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Thanks both. I think the various Acer's have slightly different procedures, but I now have at least 3 alternatives to try. Unfortunately, they are now away until early December, and I cannot get to the laptop until they get back. So I've had to put this on hold for the present. However, I will report back as soon as I can.

Once again, many thanks for all your advice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer