We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 System Restore doesn't restore

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7

System Restore doesn't restore.

I set up restore points, it says it's done it. I click to restore and it shows me a whole slew of saved restore points. But nomatter which one I choose the result is always the same. It goes through the motions, reboots and tells me it hasn't changed anything?

All the Restore Points are saved on external drives. Do you think it would make any difference if I saved them to my C: drive? I was reluctant to do this, in case it might overwrite something?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I think you've answered your own question. As far as I know the restore points or "volume shadow copies" are an integral part of the operating system. Even if you were to image a disc with something like Acronis and then restore that image your Windows restore points are "lost" and non functional.

So as far as I know you need to use the default locations and settings for system restore.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Thanx for that I'll take a look.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Further to your post mooly what if I were to transfer the System Restore points I have on the external disks to the C: drive, would they work then, or do I have to delete them and start again?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I find that sometimes in W7 restore works and sometimes not. I had a problem last week with the big update (18 updates) and could not get system restore to work However I successfully used it a day or two later when I had trouble updating Google Earth. I use Acronis True Image for "proper" back up images and clones.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I'm guessing they probably won't work if you transfer them over but its something you would just have to try.

Like John I use Acronis and in fact have system restore turned off completely.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks