We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is my 'legacy' external hard drive able work with Vista?

polymath
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm not looking for help at this point, just wondered if anyone happens to know if it's possible. If not, it's for my upcoming recycling trip (if I can't give it away).

It's a Western Digital Essential External USB hard drive, model no. (WD?)4305A (160GB). The system requirements say 98SE/ME/2000/XP. I bought it 6-7 years ago for my 99SE computer, but soon had to give in and replace the computer (by which time the only choice was Vista). The drive's still in its box (I'm trying to find out the lazy way, before embarking on the usual hours of fiddling about!).

It's in the 'legacy drive' section of Western Digital's website, but no relevant downloads. After lots of searching, I'm still confused about whether to look for a driver written by WD for Vista or the other way round, or if it's just plug-and-play and needs no additional driver, or if it's an expensive paperweight. (I have no experience of adding drives to go on).

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

I wonder why the site thinks this is spam?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Should be detected automatically and appropriate standard drivers used. As long as the device is in serviceable condition it should work fine.

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It should work fine.

There is a strong likelihood the it is plain old USB rather than USB 2 though and therefore rather slow.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Thanks Batch and wee eddie! (Not just a £100 paperweight then!). It is a USB2 drive.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Sorry, I don't seem to be able to tick both answers!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...