We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP - different users accounts in Safe Mode

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am trying to get an old office PC working again but cannot understand how this was originally set up. Perhaps you can help. When I log in normal mode, I can see 3 user accounts - Owner (password protected), spare (which I have just set up in SAFE mode) and Guest. Neither Guest or Spare are password protected. However, when I log on in Safe mode, all I can see are Owner (password protected) and Admin (not password protected). How can I get to see Admin in Normal mode and Spare and Guest in SAFE mode, please.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Use admin to change one of the guest accounts to administrator.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If its an old office machine then its likely to be well tied down by the IT department

I liberated one from my old firm used to take nearly 15 mins to boot to a usable condition.

I got the key out of it then formatted the drive and reinstalled XP, now boots in 29seconds, use it as a spare and back p for all of my work stuff.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just wonder if you could cancel the owner password using Admin account, you may have to change it if you can so that it is no longer an administrator account.

Like this post  
xania

Likes # 0

Jock1e - the main trouble is that I can only get into Admin in safe mode and then I cannot see the other accounts. However, I can get into the 'Owner' account because owner is available and I can ask her to log in if she dosn't wanty me to know her password. Otherwise I'll try deleting it altogether and then see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion - I'm not in until Wednesday and will try it then and report back.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - not on IT department so not tied down - that's why Admin is not password protected.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Normal mode

at the password screen just type in Administrator press enter if no password. (but you really need a password here as it will give you access to the Owbners files anyway.

get rid of "Spare" not needed and switch off guest account.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I was able to remove the password for Owner after loggin into Admin in safe mode. I still cannot see Admin in normal mode, but this is no longer a problem. I can now get WIndows update working, which was the main cause of the problem in the first place and will also be removing Spare and Guest idc.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

It is quite usual that you cannot see the Admin user account when logging in. However, if you wish to have it displayed in Normal mode this shows how:

Show Admin Account

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin - thanks for the link

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...