We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PCWorld Products Support - is it worth it?

Welshguy

Likes # 0

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop which is a few years old now and when I bought it I was persuaded to take out a Business Products product support agreement at £13.21 per month. I have not had to use this at all and wondered if it was worth it. Comments please.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Ah! Did you buy this through their PCW Business section because if so, it's completely different to buying as a consumer. Even now £13.21 is an odd amount so I would like to know what this "Policy" entails and what it cover. How old is this Laptop and exactly which model?

This could be a Business type insurance cover which would replace your laptop should it fail. In which case we don't want to stop paying it now! After all £13 a month is roughly £150 a year. If it's over 4 years old it's paid for itself from the insurers point of view. Post back with some more info please.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have a very good local repair man who charges about £45 or so for most repairs. A new screen was £120. I think if you have a good local guy and remember to (albeit mentally) put aside the same amount, it would pay you to do so. Obviously if your business depend on a quick response, that may be different.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have a very good local repair man who charges about £45 or so for most repairs. A new screen was £120. I think if you have a good local guy and remember to (albeit mentally) put aside the same amount, it would pay you to do so. Obviously if your business depend on a quick response, that may be different.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

£160 a year, It probably doesn't cover accidental breakage anyway

that's a reasonable new laptop every 2.5 years and the first year would be free warranty anyway.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - totally agree but that's why I asked the questions I did. Business cover at the price quoted will cover much more than a normal consumer cover.I had a business cover client who similarly had no claim for several years, (In my case 3 years) then the HDD failed and was replaced on site next day. Two months later the CD ROM failed. (The sent that by courier and I replaced it myself.) Then the motherboard failed about 6 months later - this time they replaced the entire computer FOC.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is the price of £13.21 a rental (smartplan) figure?

Like this post
Welshguy

Likes # 0

Sorry for the delay in getting back to what seems like a very comprehensive set of answers. It is business cover. I bought it with the laptop in January 2009. So it is getting on a bit now, and I would guess that hanging on to the cover is probably a good thing now that I've reached this far with the Vaio. I guess the big question is - when do I trade in?

Like this post
Welshguy

Likes # 0

The model is VGN-FW21E

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sony VAIO EH2A4E/B is the newer version of your machine cost £330, just over two years worth of your cover.

Like this post
Welshguy

Likes # 0

Oh, and it does include accidental cover.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

How to improve iPhone battery life, what to do if your iPhone battery is running low

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes