We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wifi connection issues, virgin superhub windows 8...

athenrye

Likes # 0

wifes laptop, dell inspiron 1545 run windows vista 64 bit, always ran well if a bit slow, I upgraded it a few weeks ago to windows 8 and runs a like a super car now! it was a fresh install with no problems

however over the last few weeks it intermittently lost the wifi signal and wouldn't connect, sometimes when the lid was closed and it went to sleep etc, we restarted it and it seemed to work

yesterday it wouldn't connect at all tot he virgin superhub, and today is the same, it worked with a cable but not wifi, I updated drivers for wifi etc still no good

heres the thing, I have a pc, ipad, sky, iods and 2 phones all connected to the superhub all working either cabled or wifi

I then took the laptop to my relative across the road and logged onto his virgin media superhub wifi straight away with no problems and surfed for a while, restarting and closing down and starting a good few times

came back here to my house and it wont work...

arghhh, I think ive done most checks and balances, why wont it connect?

thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I can only suggest disabling the network adapter on the laptop, restarting the laptop and then re-enabling.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried shutting down the super hub for 20 seconds then restarting it to see if that makes any difference.

Can she see the signal from the superhub.

Someone on here yesterday or the day before changed the channels on the super hub and that worked for them.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Try this:

Click the WiFi network icon beside the clock to bring up the list of Available Networks. Right click the entry for your Super Hub's SSID and select "Forget this network".

Then try reconnecting to it.

Like this post
athenrye

Likes # 0

I can see the available network in laptop and see the signal strength, ive tried the enable disable etc

I switched the bloody thing off...

I switched it on, he presto it works, superhub going back next week, everything else was connected and working! whats up with that!

cheers guys

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It is just something Virginmedia tell you to do.To switch it off then back on again if you are having problems I assume it must refresh the ISP address but there was an update for it recently so maybe connecting to the update helped.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite