We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lenovo IdeaPad Z575 - HDMI to TV sound did work, but now it doesn't!

kissifa

Likes # 0

Hello there,

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium Lenovo IdeaPad Z575. I connected it to my 37" lcd TV (Acoustic Solutions) via a HDMI cable and the laptop detected the new display using the AMD Vision Engine Control Centre, and it worked perfectly with video and sound, no problem. Then one morning, I turned on the laptop, and the TV showed the extended desktop as usual, but there was no sound!

Many internet searches on this topic later and I have ensured that the audio was set to the AMD High Definition Audio Device as Default, I have tried the most up to date AMD graphics and audio drivers from both the AMD and Lenovo sites (Catalyst versions 12.8), and rolled back to older video and audio graphics as I read some people saying the latest drivers were the problem (Catalyst 12.6 - should I go back further??). I even tried a BIOS update and a chipset utility download from Lenovo. Nothing has brought back the sound.

I don't know if it's a related problem, but I also cannot, despite all this, find the SM Bus Controller driver either, despite a chipset install. Argh.

My laptop identifies the PC as a Generic PnP Monitor in Device Manager, and an AMD High Definition Audio Device if I look at the volume controls. The TV recognises the connection as HDMI and as soon as I plug in the HDMI cable my desktop appears on the TV, and the volume icon switches from speakers to the AMD HDMI output.

The only difference all my installing etc. seems to have made is that even if I tell my laptop to ignore the TV and not use it, it just re-detects and activates it, but still no sound.

Any help would be very much appreciated. What a frustration after it was working so well!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Have you installed any Windows Updates between the time that it was working and now? If so remove/uninstall recent updates or try a System Restore to a time just before the problem occurred.

Like this post
kissifa

Likes # 0

Thank you for the new idea - I tried a System Restore back to five days ago when it was working fine, but no change, except oddly instead of filling the whole TV, my desktop now only fills the centre, at the same size as my laptop desktop. Weird.

So no luck, I'm afraid. :(

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Right-click the Volume icon by the time in the lower-right corner.

2. Click Playback Devices .

The Sound window opens.

3. On the Playback tab, click one of the following audio output device that is listed:

Digital Output Device (HDMI)

Realtek HDMI Output

NVIDIA HDMI Output

ATI HDMI Output

ATI HDMI Output selection

4. Click Set Default .

5. Click Apply .

If you used Digital Output Device (HDMI) , click OK to close the window. This completes the steps to activate HDMI sound.

If you used Realtek HDMI Output , continue with Step 6.

6. Double-click Realtek HDMI Output .

The Realtek Digital Output Properties window opens. Click the Supported Formats tab. Place a check in the 48.0 KHz check box, and make sure that there are no checks in the Dolby Digital check box and all other check boxes.

Like this post
kissifa

Likes # 0

Thank you for responding, but unfortunately I already have the device set to Default, and it is set to 48 khz DVD quality in its properties. :(

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

So you have the Realtek

Check in device mnagee that there are no exclmation marks against the realtk drivers- may even be worth updating them.

Like this post
kissifa

Likes # 0

Have downloaded the latest RealTek audio driver (IN1AUD17WW5.exe) from Lenovo.com - no luck. :(

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you tried another HMDI cable?

Is there an input setting on the TV you need to change?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This audio codec/driver works for win 7 and 8 though my gpu is Nvidia. http://downloads.guru3d.com/Realtek-HD-Audio-2.57-audio-driver-download-2672.html

In 'playback devices' if you see something with a code to it, it could possibly be the TV. Try setting as default to see if you get sound if the greyed out area shows 'Ready' when you connect the HDMI cable. Same as Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's advice really but try the codec for HD Realtek first.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

HDMI connection to my TV/Monitor and I have to use the TV remote control to get the sound.

Like this post
kissifa

Likes # 0

The HDMI cable was new out of the box and worked perfectly for nearly a week before the sound issue came up, so I doubt/hope it isn't a cable issue.

I've tried the Realtek driver, and ensured the TV volume is up, and have checked the TV's menus.

I'm starting to think I probably just have to wait till a new Windows or driver update rolls along and undoes whatever damage the first one did. :(

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data